What's new

Runnign 24.7

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We don't know, we haven't seen numbers released. But generally on any closed system (sealed hardware) is 3 to 5 years, good rule of thumb is the life span is how ever long you can get a warranty fro the OEM. So with the Surface 3 years is a good bet.

The price for the Pro is inline with equivalent Ultrabooks and they are generally expected to last 3 years.

jrapdx

We don't know, we haven't seen numbers released. But generally on any closed system (sealed hardware) is 3 to 5 years, good rule of thumb is the life span is how ever long you can get a warranty fro the OEM. So with the Surface 3 years is a good bet.

The price for the Pro is inline with equivalent Ultrabooks and they are generally expected to last 3 years.

It's true. Shopping for a new computer to replace a 7 year old laptop I noticed the top of the line models were over $1000, and none of those had the specs of the SP2 (8G ram, etc.). And then I'd forgotten that the laptop I bought in 2008 (and died in 2013) cost >$2000 at the time. So I have to admit, the cost of ownership of a top level small PC-compatible computer was and is still going to be $300 to $500 a year. In real dollars, it may be even cheaper now than in the past.

CrippsCorner

That's terrible really, although I do replace my computers every 4 years... I hope the Surface Pro makes it this long!

Deckyon

If you pay attention to the battery charge cycle and how you use it, then you can help the battery along. Use the power cables that come with the device, or are made by the manufacturer. The few extra $ will make the difference in the long run. Once in a while take it all the way down and give it a full charge. I do that every couple months. I have had my iPad (gen 3) since it was released (2012) going on 2 years now. I am still getting over 9 hours with it. My MBP will push 7 hours still with the screen turned down and not using the speakers or back-light. Found this out in the last big storm that came through. The iPad went for another 9 hours and outlasted the battery backup I had on my modem/router. I have an old HP laptop from 2008 that only ever got 5 hours max still able to run for 3+ hours. take care of the devices and they will last.