What's new

S3 is a mess

WGlobal

Two weeks ago i got my S3 und updated it with Windows update. I have only Microsoft software installed. Problems:

1. The micro SD card and the USB port interfere with each other and it is not possible then to the access the SD card. S3 hangs and cannot be shut down. Blue screens also happen.

2. The first start of S3 fails. At the second start high and width is changed (the screen is rotated 90 grad in laptop mode).

3. WLAN connection problems.

4. Sometimes S3 cannot be shut down.

Any suggestions?

malberttoo

Two weeks ago i got my S3 und updated it with Windows update. I have only Microsoft software installed. Problems:

1. The micro SD card and the USB port interfere with each other and it is not possible then to the access the SD card. S3 hangs and cannot be shut down. Blue screens also happen.

2. The first start of S3 fails. At the second start high and width is changed (the screen is rotated 90 grad in laptop mode).

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!

Since you said you don't really have anything on it yet except Microsoft stuff, if it was me (and believe me, it HAS been me many times...) I would do a full reset/ factory restore. It's pretty easy and won't take much time. Worked wonders on my 3-week old SP3.

I would do "reset- from within Windows" - https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...recovery/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro

If you still have issues afterward, we can chase them down.

Just my 2 cents' anyways.

InspectHerGadget

I think if you do a full reset, it probably is a good idea. I did a system refresh on mine after sound issues and WiFi issues, it didn't fix it and I lost patience and sent it back for a refund.

I think it probably makes no difference doing a full reset over a refresh but if you do the full reset then there are no doubts at all. If the problems persist then send it back for a refund.

I'm always SCEPTICAL of new devices with new chips. and components in them and I personally give them once chance only and assume the worst.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Any suggestions?
Id like to know more about issue #1, specifically how do you mean "interferes with".

Definitely do the "Reset" as suggested by @malberttoo but if issue #2 returns get a replacement, it's a defect.

stammie

What do you have plugged into the full USB port?
I used to have a portable hard drive that would play merry hell with one of my PC's including stopping it shutting down until I unplugged the drive but worked perfectly on another PC.

OP
W

WGlobal

Sorry for my late answer but the S3 could not be shut down in desktop mode and i had to shut down it in app mode which 'seemed' to worked. But when i swiched the S3 on again it did not work and i hat to push the power switch 30 seconds before switching the S3 on again. In the event list i saw that the S3 shut down before was not normal.

Coming back to the problem with micro SD (D) and USB port. To my surprise the USB stick with 32 Gbyte took the disk D. Then came a blue screen. When the USB stick was on E i was not able to copy from E to D (micro SD).

Then I made an image of the S3 to an external HD-drive on the USB port E. This worked but when i tried to open the SD (D) this was not possible. It was not possible to shut down the S3. But when i removed the SD card it worked.

I like the S3 but

?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolfgang

OP
W

WGlobal

Instead of a refresh i will make the update to Windows 10. Perhaps then the problems are solved if this are not hardware problems.

Wolfgang

stammie

I'm far from an expert on this matter but I'd try a different sd card first before changing the OS,
something is wrong with one of your storage devices and that seems the common denominator

Telstar1948

If using a different SD card doesn't seem to change anything, do the complete reset. After that you will know whether the S3 you have just happens to have hardware issues - if so, exchange it.

leeshor

Instead of a refresh i will make the update to Windows 10. Perhaps then the problems are solved if this are not hardware problems.

Wolfgang
Just between you and me that may not be a wise decision. No upgrade or additional software install should be attempted until you know what the problem is for sure. If it's hardware Windows 10 won't help.

OP
W

WGlobal

One problem solved:

If i shut down S3 i get a black screen and you think that S3 is shut down. But in reality S3 is not shut down completely (s3 is slow) and if you push the tablet down to the type cover the energy saving mode is activated but both modes (shutting down & sleeping mode) are not compatible and S3 crashes.

If instead i wait for a while before pushing the tablet down to the type cover i have no problems starting S3 again.

Wolfgang