What's new

Screen flickers and locks up

miket

My screen blacked out yesterday and the surface would not turn on. Then finally it came on and the screen flickers and locks up. How can I fix it? Is it a hardware problem?

titanium5er

I am having the same issue since down loading Windows 10. Mine is plugged and fully charged. To get it to start up I have to hold the power button down for approx. 10 seconds and then turn it back on. It will run for most of the day and will then flicker and screen will go black. Nothing works until you power it off and back on. Seems to me this is a Windows 10 issue since the issue never occurred in the previous 7 months on Windows 8.

Hi, welcome to the forum. It sounds like a low battery issue. Please try charging your Surface. Microsoft Surface RT Videos (Reviews, Tips, Apps) | Microsoft Surface Forums

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am having the same issue since down loading Windows 10. Mine is plugged and fully charged. To get it to start up I have to hold the power button down for approx. 10 seconds and then turn it back on. It will run for most of the day and will then flicker and screen will go black. Nothing works until you power it off and back on. Seems to me this is a Windows 10 issue since the issue never occurred in the previous 7 months on Windows 8.
This may not be related to the original post from Nov 2012. :)
I recently encountered issues on my S3 with the display driver crashing... the display would go black for a 20 seconds and usually come back, sometimes needed to restart. That seemed to have cleared up in the last month but I have noticed an occasional screen flash. Sounds like they have driver issues maybe they should fork a different driver version for each Surface rather than trying to get one that works across all of them.