What's new

September Patch Tuesday - No WiFi Fix for SP3

mcsenerd

If you have limited connectivity after hibernation just turn off and on your wifi adapter...or put it into airplane mode and back off....voila you are connected again :)

That behavior is only ONE of the multitude of issues this radio chipset seems to produce. That little trick aint gonna do you much good when you come out hibernation/sleep and the entire device has vanished from the system like a fart in the wind.

ctitanic

BTW, the title is totally incorrect. The fact that those using Hyper-V did not see any changes does not mean that others got a fix.

ctitanic

Not

And by the way...I don't have an Apple Router either...it's a Netgear R7000 using the latest stock firmware. All the excuses I hear about how this kinda crud is supposedly "ok", is sort of like pointing out all of the reasons that Janay Palmer should have avoided getting decked by Ray Rice...he still hit her...and MS STILL hasn't "fixed" this...

I have the same router R7000, and many other in this forum have that same router, and I do not have any problems with my Wifi connectivity. So, to me, it's not MS issue in your Case because many of us have the same hardware without any problems.

So the question is, what you have installed, tweaked, hacked, changed in your SP3 to get it to the stay you have it?

foghat

That behavior is only ONE of the multitude of issues this radio chipset seems to produce. That little trick aint gonna do you much good when you come out hibernation/sleep and the entire device has vanished from the system like a fart in the wind.

the wifi adapter disappearing coming after out of sleep is annoying. What always works for me is running a 'scan for new hardware' in device manager.

ctitanic

the wifi adapter disappearing coming after out of sleep is annoying. What always works for me is running a 'scan for new hardware' in device manager.
Could you try this? Open Regedit

Change this key

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0) (Restart)

After that open the Control panel, power options, balanced plan, edit, change these values, apply, close, undo registry change and restart.

Capture.JPG

mcsenerd

I have the same router R7000, and many other in this forum have that same router, and I do not have any problems with my Wifi connectivity. So, to me, it's not MS issue in your Case because many of us have the same hardware without any problems.

So the question is, what you have installed, tweaked, hacked, changed in your SP3 to get it to the stay you have it?

So my WiFi router is reaching into my SP3 and removing the bluetooth and Marvell AC Wireless from the SP3's device listing? Wow...that's some seriously powerful tech. :eek: Just kidding (slightly...). Point is, I don't have any problems with WiFi connectivity either...when the device in the SP3 is actually recognized and working.

This is my main rig... I don't hack, tweak, or muck with things that I get a paycheck working on.

Like I said, I typically don't post about WiFi pains because it doesn't really kill me other than making me jump through a few hoops coming out of sleep now and then. That being said...it shouldn't be necessary to stand on one leg, hold your tongue a certain way, or never modify a platform from the factory load to ensure a consistent wireless connection.

ctitanic

So my WiFi router is reaching into my SP3 and removing the bluetooth and Marvell AC Wireless from the SP3's device listing? Wow...that's some seriously powerful tech. :eek: Just kidding (slightly...). Point is, I don't have any problems with WiFi connectivity either...when the device in the SP3 is actually recognized and working.

This is my main rig... I don't hack, tweak, or muck with things that I get a paycheck working on.

Like I said, I typically don't post about WiFi pains because it doesn't really kill me other than making me jump through a few hoops coming out of sleep now and then. That being said...it shouldn't be necessary to stand on one leg, hold your tongue a certain way, or never modify a platform from the factory load to ensure a consistent wireless connection.
You did not answer my question, why if you and many on this forum, including me, have the same router and tablet, we don't have any issues at all and you have some problems?

mmoran27

I don't believe you. Everyone I know with a sp3 and 2 have had this same no network problem.
I had the surface pro 2 and had the same issue.

Clearly MS chose an inferior chipset. Connected Standby or not its garbage on the all the surface pros.

Why don't you just admit you are paid to post positive only things about the surface. What do you do for a living? Who do you work for?

You did not answer my question, why if you and many on this forum, including me, have the same router and tablet, we don't have any issues at all and you have some problems?

Last edited:

mcsenerd

I don't think I'm the "only" one, and if I knew what was the root cause you can rest assured that I'd communicate such things. Is your implication that the manufacturing and deployment process is so perfect that there is not room for error or product variance? Perhaps they got a bad run of this fine, power efficient, integrated WiFi/Bluetooth chipset? I'm a pretty logical kinda guy, and if there was a rhyme or reason as to when this occurred when departing some of these sleep states, then I'd have nailed it down already. In my experience, this issue is super intermittent. I've had it occur multiple times in a single day...and then I've gone almost a week without it happening at all.

ipaq_101

Can someone please explain to me what hyper v exactly is in laymen terms? will turning it off solve my missing wifi problems? if so, how do I do it?

kundas1

I don't believe you. Everyone I know with a sp3 and 2 have had this same no network problem.
I had the surface pro 2 and had the same issue.

Clearly MS chose an inferior chipset. Connected Standby or not its garbage on the all the surface pros.

Why don't you just admit you are paid to post positive only things about the surface. What do you do for a living? Who do you work for?

Everyone you know, what... that involves 1 person 2? LOL I know I'm not suffering from the "no network problem" and MANY other people too... you don't believe me also? It's only a small handful of you that are suffering from this and it sucks, but don't put us in the same boat as you! I'm sure MS will fix this and you all can get back to enjoying your devices as you should be. Perhaps try un-installing the drivers and re-install them and it might fix your problem... it did for another person on this forum...

kundas1

Can someone please explain to me what hyper v exactly is in laymen terms? will turning it off solve my missing wifi problems? if so, how do I do it?

Try un-installing the drivers and then re-install them, it worked for another poster on here... and as for the hyper V I don't think that bas anything to do with your WiFi except allowing you to set the WiFi to NOT sleep... oh and running in full speed. Do a search here and you will find many posts on the subject... ;)