What's new

Sleep behavior for Surface Pro

Looks like Windows 8 and RT have different sleep behaviors. RT has connected sleep, but Windows 8 doesn't. So seems like you can't get push notifications on the Surface Pro. How will this also impact waking the device up? With RT it's near instant, but will it take 1-2 seconds for the Pro to wake up?

bosamar

Looks like Windows 8 and RT have different sleep behaviors. RT has connected sleep, but Windows 8 doesn't. So seems like you can't get push notifications on the Surface Pro. How will this also impact waking the device up? With RT it's near instant, but will it take 1-2 seconds for the Pro to wake up?

and your statements are based upon what facts? IMO its all based upon Windows 8 Power Settings so why can't the user set their own?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes, you are correct. Windows 8 machines take a couple of seconds to resume and Surface Pro basically being a laptop should behave the same way as far as anybody knows. If is possible MS made some specific tweaks to the Surface Pro but until they make it into the wild it is hard to say.

One of the great features of Windows 8 though is that boot and resume times are very fast. So while it may not be "instant" it should be very fast. Even on older hardware my Win 8 laptop boots and resumes very quickly.

Most of the laptop reviews on The Verge now make mention of the boot and resume times. This is a common example.

In a coup for Windows, boot and resume times were also really fast — the U925t turns on in about 10 seconds and resumes basically instantly. In that sense, it feels almost like a tablet.

In contrast to:

The small SSD is designed to make boot and resume fast, and it mostly works: the Twist boots in about 15 seconds, though its three-to-four-second wake time is a little slower than I'd like.

Even at 3-4 seconds that is much faster than non-Windows 8 laptops most people are use to. I don't see how this will be an issue for most people other than something to complain about. For most devices even with instant on by the time you slide to unlock, face recognize or enter a password you have burned the same amount of time.

As Intel chips become more power efficient I would expect this will change to match mobile chip instant on performance. In the past laptop makers have even experimented with a second mobile style chip to allow push notifications and basic processing while the device is off. Maybe we will see a return to that strategy. For now though it is probably better to have the extra battery life (already a hot button issue).

ArnoldC

My Acer Aspire S3 has a 20GB SSD in addition to the 500GB mechanical disk. The 20GB is used to fulfill the 2s resume time as stated in the marketing materials, when running Windows 7.

On Windows 8, I am not using the feature but the wake up time from sleep is about 2s or so.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Connected Standby (S0iX) is not supported on the Intel Core "i" platform, Haswell will be the first SoC Core "i" CPU that supports S0iX which is currently schedules for June release and GA by late summer 2013. The only Intel CPU that supports S0iX is the Clover Trail Atom CPU currently. So Ivy Bridge uses standard S3 Sleep or S4 Hibernate as previous models. This does impact the ability to Push Info to the Live Tiles.

OP
K

krypticide

That's too bad. I guess we'll see when the units come out, but 5 hours of battery life will definitely feel shorter if you have to keep the device on (e.g. when taking notes in OneNote using the stylus) so you don't have to suffer through 2 sec turn on times when the device sleeps on you. On the RT, the wake up would be instant enough not to be an issue.

While I'm so very excited about the Surface Pro, I feel like waiting for Haswell may be more worth it (for my use case, of course).

starLog

I am sure we will see some XDA mods to allow for some kind of push.

Simply crazy how fast someone can make mods work.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I am sure we will see some XDA mods to allow for some kind of push.

Simply crazy how fast someone can make mods work.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is going to be a hardware limitation as indicated by jnjroach above. Any "connected standby" hack means your tablet isn't really asleep which will most likely have battery consequences. Of course there are many smart people out there so you never know what somebody might come up with :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
S0iX isn't enabled in software, it's an ACPI Power State that needs to be supported in the CPU/Chipset that the OS then takes advantage of that functionality.

Russ

I feel like waiting for Haswell may be more worth it (for my use case, of course).

Krypticide --

I think you're right -- in your case of course. You should wait.

Meanwhile, I hope you won't be offended if some of us go ahead and buy the Pro now for the wonderful advantages it offers.

Regards,
Russ

Last edited:
OP
K

krypticide

Haha, of course I wouldn't be offended. I'm still tempted to get rid of my RT and get the Pro anyway. I'm guessing even without Haswell, I'd be very happy to use it. I find myself wishing my RT was my main computer, rather than an extension.

Russ

Krypticide --

I have an RT, and will soon have the chance to have it side-by-side with a Pro. I'm getting a Pro for my Ladyfriend, as soon as they are available. Since I get to set it up for her, that means I get to play with it and compare the two. The big question will be whether I will be willing to let her have it -- or buy another Pro. (Already established that the RT will not meet her needs.)

There are at least a couple of us here who are buying Pros when available, and will be happy to answer any questions (except hard ones) then.

Take care,
Russ