What's new

SP keeps freezing

Eekie

hi I bought a SP3 not so long ago... And am finding that it keeps shutting applications when I am using them and returning to the desktop screen or totally freezing where nothing works except holding down the power button to restart. Does anyone know what the problem could be and what I should do.... I am really not. So techno savvy.
Thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might need to be replaced but FIRST you should do a REFRESH or RRESET. This will reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. You would have to reinstall any Desktop Apps such as MS Office and things you have downloaded from the Internet so you should make sure you have any needed files and Keys for them.

Assuming you are logging in with a "Microsoft Account" your settings and Store Apps will sink back to your device.

Also make a note of your Computer Name so you can set it the same when prompted... its not a big deal but makes a couple things smoother IMO.

Id recommend you BACKUP your files to a USB drive just for safety especially if you do the Reset. If you do the Refresh it will reinstall Windows and Keep your Files on the Disk a Reset wipes everything and reinstalls to factory setup.

Do you have a lot of Desktop apps installed, or stored a lot of files on your Surface?

OP
E

Eekie

It might need to be replaced but FIRST you should do a REFRESH or RRESET. This will reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. You would have to reinstall any Desktop Apps such as MS Office and things you have downloaded from the Internet so you should make sure you have any needed files and Keys for them.

Assuming you are logging in with a "Microsoft Account" your settings and Store Apps will sink back to your device.

Also make a note of your Computer Name so you can set it the same when prompted... its not a big deal but makes a couple things smoother IMO.

Id recommend you BACKUP your files to a USB drive just for safety especially if you do the Reset. If you do the Refresh it will reinstall Windows and Keep your Files on the Disk a Reset wipes everything and reinstalls to factory setup.

Do you have a lot of Desktop apps installed, or stored a lot of files on your Surface?

Many thanks greyFox. Will give this a try when back hoMe. I have VERY few files on there but am using a USB multi port and wonder if this may cause probs. in the 3 port unit I have an external driver 1TB full of files etc. As well as mouse Usb.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many thanks greyFox. Will give this a try when back hoMe. I have VERY few files on there but am using a USB multi port and wonder if this may cause probs. in the 3 port unit I have an external driver 1TB full of files etc. As well as mouse Usb.
Its possible they could cause problems but not very likely... try using it without them to see if the problem still occurs.