What's new

Solved SP3 multi-mon dpi scaling tweak

surfdock

This tutorial summary will show an alternate approach to achieve seamless multi-monitors on the Surface Pro 3 for desktop productivity scenarios.

Coles notes: use the generic intel.com GPU driver to add the 1080*720 screen resolution and pair the SP3 screen with 21.5” 1920x1080 monitors.

The SP3 screen is fantastic with 2160x1440 resolution in a mere 12" (~216dpi). I wanted to pair this great screen with a large desktop monitor for more screen real-estate in classic-windows desktop, but I had a tough time choosing the right monitor and getting the sizes to match up. By using custom resolutions in the Intel.com driver, the sizes match almost exactly.

For the full tutorial and simple regkey fix, see the blog article.

And checkout our 3-in-1 dock video demo using this hack:

Last edited:
OP
surfdock

surfdock

Yes I know. I was really hoping Vista would have independent scaling...

Seems like nobody has it quite right yet. There are tradeoffs to the approaches taken by Apple, Microsoft, and X. If someone can solve the engineering tradeoffs between performance, fuzziness/aliasing, bitmap UI asset management, memory consumption, etc., etc. they will have a real winner on their hands.

RoPo

Hey Surfdoc.
Have been searching for this solution and was oh so hopeful! I followed your inx to the letter and got this message:
upload_2014-10-13_8-10-18.png

Any idea how to get past this? Thanks!!

EDIT: Well, I re-read your post and followed MORE closely and got it to work!
Thank you for this!

Last edited:

RWerksman

This thread is amazing - exactly what I was looking for. FYI, this is what I did:
  • Installed the older version of the Intel driver.
  • Added custom resolutions equivalent to 125% scaling and 150% scaling
    • 1920 x 1280 x 60hz
    • 1440 x 960 x 60hz
  • Updated to the latest and greatest Intel driver
Everything is working quite well. I'm now running at 100% scaling on everything, 1440x960 on the surface display, and it's perfect -- exactly what I wanted. Thanks!!

edit:

One thing that I did encounter however is a BSOD when updating the driver. I had one of the custom resolutions selected prior. Selecting a standard resolution and then updating worked great.

newhere

Hi

I've got an SP3 with a toshiba dynadock extending to a dell 22 inch 1680x1050 monitor. I've downloaded the driver pack and clicked thru to have disk, but when i point the update to the unzipped folder, I get the following error message
upload_2014-10-27_16-36-58.png

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

OP
surfdock

surfdock

Newhere, you need to point device manager to the INF file directly in the unzipped location: Graphics\igdlh64.inf or similar. I've updated the instructions above with this detail.

Last edited:

newhere

Newhere, you need to point device manager to the INF file directly in the unzipped location: Graphics\igdlh64.inf or similar. I've updated the instructions above with this detail.

Thanks very much, appreciate the advice for the less literate. This has solved my one significant gripe with the SP3 and makes it useful in the docked office environment. Thanks heaps!