What's new

SP3 Power Options

Tim_Johans

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has performed the power tweak to unlock performance mode in power settings? Interestingly, when I did it, the device operates much cooler when set to "power saver" as one would expect. I also modified this plan so the CPU performance rate is the same as high performance. Intriguingly, the temperature is far lower than in performance mode, despite having the same CPU range set (between 5% and 100%).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it safe to operate in performance mode, or did Microsoft deliberately omit this in power options in that they only had "balanced mode"

Cheers,

Tim.

daniielrp

Hi All,

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it safe to operate in performance mode, or did Microsoft deliberately omit this in power options in that they only had "balanced mode"

As with any system tweaks, my response is always the same. Microsoft made this device, and customised Windows to it, so obviously they have their reasons for it, and they know plenty more about the ins and outs of the system than we do.

Will it suit everyone? No. But what they've done should be suitable for 95% of people.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the old days of tube TVs it was said some tweakers removed tube from circuits until it caused a problem then put the last one back and did the same in each circuit. They ultimately manufactured and sold the most unreliable TV ever produced. :)

Captpt

Heat seems to keep popping up here, I've had my SP3 for weeks now and never noticed any heat issues?? I've used it for everything from browsing, PhotoShop, Office 2013 work and even playing games (EA Sports Soccer mostly lol) and yet to feel any heat issues.. I have the i5 128 version...
My previous Nexus 10 did warm up from time to time but nothing so far with my SP3... What apps or programs are you running when this occurs??

OP
Tim_Johans

Tim_Johans

Mainly programs such as disk cleanup (initially, there where a large amount of Windows Update cleanups that took >40 mins to clear). My concern primarily is any warping or bending in the case due to heat that may occur, as has been documented on here.

leeshor

Mainly programs such as disk cleanup (initially, there where a large amount of Windows Update cleanups that took >40 mins to clear). My concern primarily is any warping or bending in the case due to heat that may occur, as has been documented on here.
Actually the documentation here has been that it would be nearly impossible for your SP3 to produce enough heat to warp it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually the documentation here has been that it would be nearly impossible for your SP3 to produce enough heat to warp it.
That bears repeating with emphasis.

Haldi

I've Benchmarked my i5-4500U 8gb a whole lot, with Prime95 and stufff.... CPU only the CPU got 90°C but the Case never got over 50°C More like 45°C-46°C Sometimes even up to 48, but never over 50!

bluegrass

Oh to be young and be technically adventurous to do all the things I read people do with their Surfaces instead of taking it easy and just enjoying it for what it is. I was like a lot of you when I took my first micro computer home back in 1978.