What's new

Power Profiles. Sorry if been asked before

rege0039

I am new to my Surface3 and have spent the last few days transferring files and settings from my Pro 2.

Sorry if this has been asked, and answered already - I did search but can't find it anywhere.

I only seem to have one power profile, balanced, rather than battery saver and performance.

Is this normal ? I haven't changed anything to make it this way, as far as I know.

I have yet to investigate the HyperV(?) thing that seems to be talked about.

Thanks for any/all help.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is by design, as it is a Connected Standby Enabled, this power scheme is designed to allow the computer to go into a low power state but remain connected.

There are numerous threads about adjusting the power plans, use them cautiously....

daonei

This is by design, as it is a Connected Standby Enabled, this power scheme is designed to allow the computer to go into a low power state but remain connected.

There are numerous threads about adjusting the power plans, use them cautiously....

I contacted Microsoft regarding this and as jnjroach mentioned, it was designed this way to implement the Connected Standby mode and minimize strain on the computer while maximizing use. Microsoft's rep was mentioning that getting the SP3 to this design came with a compromise to throttle power management to minimize overheating.

Makes sense to me and I can give up relying on power profiles if I can get eight or so hours on a single charge...