What's new

Solved Sp3: System and System interrups waste 20/25% cpu - heating

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I will install CCcleaner soon here, but a new pc don't get help from CCcleaner just like this, when it's new and not dirty with issues of months of usage. Your temperature it's perfect, I live in Cyprus and we have outside around 35/40 each day now, inside home we use air condition and however my i7 is usually around 45/50 degrees watching with core temp or intel tuning utility. Here it's hardware issue and bug of sp3, perhaps for now I'm struggle more with the docking... and if you remove the docking and you resolve this issue of 20/25% usage you already feel like ......... don't know how compared may be to some apple user that do not need to struggle with so simple issues. I hope to to use the Sp3 as my desktop... and I upgrade fully today.... so in somehow I will give battle because I believe that this is the future, the surface... what we needed since years as portable unit able to compete with a desktop (we can run 2560x1600 monitors and even 4K to get max content with just one monitor), but as I see Microsoft it's not at all able to handle the progress and the magniture of what is a surface pro 2 and 3, more 3, because the 2 was going better and the videos in youtube convinced me that this was the miracle I was waiting. Microsoft have 50/60 billions cash...... what is waiting for to invest in 1. better technical support 2. better development and bug fixes 3. better distribution.... Microsoft is a disaster in countries that are not the G8/G20.... and finally the spare parts that soon will be needed when something go wrong with components, an accident etc etc. Let's hope, for now let's report and let's try to understand how to fix the fixable......

megatronium

I had the exact same issue and was contemplating trying to get a replacement. It turns out that I was running a bazillion useless background issues. I was idling at 26-28%. Here is how I fixed my I5 128 S3.

1. I did a windows refresh. It removes all your programs but keeps your Apps and data stored on the computer and then reinstalls windows.

2. I re-installed the programs I needed.

3. I downloaded a program called CCleaner (its amazing).

4. I downloaded a program called Speedfan to monitor core temp and fan speed.

Everday when I log into my computer I run CCleaner and the registry fix on it (two step process).

My S3 now idles at less than 1% and NEVER gets hot. The fan never needs to run. The temp never exceeds 37 C. My S3 is now everything I wanted. :D

For registry cleaning, I got Netgate today. My SP3 seems to be zipping along since!

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

To me seem a joke, those programs are needed when it's really needed to clean the pc... cannot change something to a new pc and resolve issue, but I wait the words of some expert about this. I will download today cccleaner.... you convinced me, but be aware that such software if usued too much frequently and you delete some needed file of the system can cause more damage and then you will need really to reinstall everything.

malberttoo

To me seem a joke, those programs are needed when it's really needed to clean the pc... cannot change something to a new pc and resolve issue, but I wait the words of some expert about this. I will download today cccleaner.... you convinced me, but be aware that such software if usued too much frequently and you delete some needed file of the system can cause more damage and then you will need really to reinstall everything.

Agreed.

malberttoo

The SP2 had startup issues as well ... I haven't seen what appears to be an insurmountable issue on the SP3 so these should all be stabilized in a couple or few months... I'm predicting thru December 2014 the SP3 will be improving as it has so far. I do hope MS learns from this and takes care of these issues in the future before release.

Agree with this as well. Also we can't forget, in most ways a direct comparison to SP2 is ridiculous, as SP3 is a completely different form factor.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

update:

now it's a regular issue for the "system" in the task bar taking 35% cpu load

in few words, as I leave my pc without touch the mouse etc for around 5/10 minutes, it comes and take 35% resources, as I touch the mouse and I go to check the task manager, while I do this, it disappear and go down to 0% again.

this is crazy! so what is this?

my set up is sp3 + external LG W3000 monitor via mini display port to dvi-d startech.com active adaptor. No docking... (already for sale on ebay)

megatronium

update:

now it's a regular issue for the "system" in the task bar taking 35% cpu load

in few words, as I leave my pc without touch the mouse etc for around 5/10 minutes, it comes and take 35% resources, as I touch the mouse and I go to check the task manager, while I do this, it disappear and go down to 0% again.

this is crazy! so what is this?

my set up is sp3 + external LG W3000 monitor via mini display port to dvi-d startech.com active adaptor. No docking... (already for sale on ebay)

The same thing happens to me. Something is going on in the background. What? I don't know - I can't see the process that's taking up the CPU usage because it drops back down to 0. I mentioned this issue in another thread. Whatever the SP3 is doing, let it finish and it won't happen for the rest of the day or however long before it needs to do what its doing again. My guess is some sort of scanning, defrag, etc. Another guess is that when you start using the SP3, it pauses whatever it's doing and starts again once the SP3 is idle. This is pretty consistent with what I've seen.

megatronium

I wouldn't say registry cleaning is a joke. Netgate cleaned my registry a bunch, Ran it again and 2 items were remaining. Now it gets no errors. Some of the errors I saw before letting it do it's thing was extensions which were no longer being used, shortcuts, etc.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

Hi, sorry for the "joke" word, it's my limited english dictionary, so I commented like that. No problem.

About SYSTEM I just want update all of you that 5 minutes ago I went to make my capuccino, and when back again SYSTEM was up to 35% and fan loud of course... temperature heating etc etc

in few words I can't leave alone my surface pro 3, I need continously making something on the pc, as the pc understand I'm not moving anymore the mouse.. and I'm not there, that when SYSTEMS go up.

Crazy. Some of you expert of windows 8.1 and sp3 can start to figure out what is going on...
I hope :(

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I just went in bathroom, 5 minutes, as back I just watched the taskmanager (I had reduced to icons all the other tabs) and 35% load. I just clicked the button PRINT to make the print screen, and as I did, in 1/2 seconds the system went down to zero.

Please help!!! what the hell is this system? I don't think that some of you even with the best lot of sp3 can survive with the issue like this, because as it goes to 35% of course the heat go to 75/80 c. and start the fan loud to cool the cpu.

Hope to find soon the answer. I think lot of you should have the same issue :(

Attachments

• system.jpg
    system.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 355
OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I used process explorer also now to see if there were more details about what send up SYSTEM but nothing....... any ideas?

Attachments

• system.jpg
    system.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 342