What's new

SP3's Fine Behind: PROTECTED!

ChrisPanzer

I take my SP3 on the road with me each and every day, and work inside peoples damaged homes, so occasionally it can get a wee bit scratched/nixed. I already have a matte-screen protector for the front, but my baby's arse is still exposed to the harmful elements! I had to do something...

I was considering getting a shell case, however I ruled that out after realizing it would increase the weight, make it more cumbersome, and I'd have to wrestle with detaching it each and every day whilst putting it in my dockstation.

So, I had some old screen protectors laying around, and I decided to custom-cut one to see if it'd stick on the rear. To my surprise, it adhered perfectly, and is a pretty good fit too, sans the sides. Perhaps one day I'll purchase one that fits perfectly.

So, if anyone is looking for a solution, there u have it, cheap and effective, and provides basic protection.

hte6gi.jpg

How's the heat dissipation with this on it?

A bit of material science for ya... Metals are conductive, both thermally and electrically. Rubbers and plastics generally act as insulators and prevent heat dissipation.

Magnesium has a thermal conductivity of about 156 W/m-K while a urethane based product like a screen protector has a conductivity of .02-.16 W/m-K

Although the chassis of the Surface is a magnesium alloy and the screen protector likely has other materials in it, putting an insulator on the back of the Surface WILL have an effect on heat dissipation.

Will it be measurable? I cannot say, there is a critical thickness for insulators so adding more insulation at a certain point actually facilitate more heat dissipation but I don't feel like running any numbers.

Why chance it though? I love the feel of my naked Surface

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Clever idea. Looks good.
I use Stickerboy for my protection, which cost US$40, and protects all around. Still looking great.

sb photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

sanitized%20for%20your%20protection.jpg

kundas1

A bit of material science for ya... Metals are conductive, both thermally and electrically. Rubbers and plastics generally act as insulators and prevent heat dissipation.

Magnesium has a thermal conductivity of about 156 W/m-K while a urethane based product like a screen protector has a conductivity of .02-.16 W/m-K

Although the chassis of the Surface is a magnesium alloy and the screen protector likely has other materials in it, putting an insulator on the back of the Surface WILL have an effect on heat dissipation.

Will it be measurable? I cannot say, there is a critical thickness for insulators so adding more insulation at a certain point actually facilitate more heat dissipation but I don't feel like running any numbers.

pffft, the effects of the screen protector on the back of the SP3 is so minuscule that it isn't even worth mentioning! regardless of all your stats and numbers and whatever, I'm sure the SP3 will be just fine ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Good answer to my thought provoking rhetorical question. :)

Yes, my baby's bottom is hangin in the breeze. ;)

Frank Jackson

We bought a couple of decals from DecalGirl for our devices and they have worked out well so far. We wanted scratch protection and may design our own later.