Strange pdf issue on my SP3 (but none of my other W10 machines)...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by OppfinnarJocke, Aug 10, 2016.

1. OppfinnarJocke

OppfinnarJocke New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    My Device:
    I have an issue with viewing locally stored pdf's, both in Edge and Chrome.

When I have Chrome set as default pdf-viewer and I in Win Explorer double-click a pdf on the SSD, say in C:\Users\Fabian\Documents, Chrome does not display the file, but makes a copy of it by downloading and renaming it.

When I have Edge set as default pdf-viewer, it behaved a little differently before the Anniversary Update; then it opened a tab as if to display the pdf, but then immediately closed the tab again, no download or copy was made. Now, after I have installed the Anniversary Update (on the fourth attempt, don't get me started :-( ), Edge behaves similar to Chrome and starts to download the file. However, the download gets stuck at 0%

This is not the way it works on any of my other 3 W10 machines, which is why I post this in the SP3 forum. On those machines, both Edge and Chrome simply display the pdf when it is double-clicked.

Both Edge and Chrome display pdf's fine when those files are fetched via URLs. For instance, this file displays fine by both browsers from the web link. If I download the file to my SSD, the above described behavior exhibits.

And yes... I know that I can choose some other pdf-viewer like Sumatra PDF, but that's not the issue.

Any ideas, anyone? Maybe someone else has experienced this issue?