What's new

Surface Apps vs Windows Apps Advantage?

baydude

I just got the Surface Pro 3 i7 and pretty new to Surface and Windows 8.1. If an app is available for both Surface and Windows, what are the benefits of using the Surface app?

I notice IE is available in Surface and Windows desktop. Does using IE in Surface give better memory management thus better battery life compared to IE for Windows?

lparsons21

Apps from the app store are all touch enhanced, that's a big difference.

And most desktop apps that app store app counterparts are more powerful, with more features than the app store app.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
99% of the traditional Win32 (desktop apps) are not designed for High DPI screens and as stated above are not touch friendly. Modern UI Apps are designed to scale and are touch first.

malberttoo

In addition to what Jeff said, the Metro/Modern apps have functionality that lets them work even when your SP3 is in Connected Standy. For example, the Metro Skype will get notifications and phone calls when in Connected Standby, the Desktop Skype will not.

I had not seen this question and posted something similar over in the app section of this forum
http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...-than-there-desktop-version.10147/#post-73358
I think I will end up getting both desktop and app versions of various types of programmes to satisfy my needs for when I want something quick and simple (mostly when out with the surface) or for when I have time to use something full featured (for when Im at home). For example I would use both the sketchbook app (unless I find something I like more) and Clip Studio Pro.

rkarolak

In addition to what was stated above, Windows Store "Modern" apps can be universal apps, being able to work on Windows RT, as well as be easily ported and able to sync with Windows Phone 8.x devices. Windows will also remember and sync Windows Store apps and their settings between devices, if you allow it.

Desktop apps generally are not touch optimized, but have greater and lower-level access to the system, so they can potentially do more.

TPadden

Using Metro IE to reply in forums was driving me crazy with crashes after typing or trying to edit, everything would disappear. Simple solution was bottom tool "view in desktop" for anything other than viewing webpages using IE.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using Metro IE to reply in forums was driving me crazy with crashes after typing or trying to edit, everything would disappear. Simple solution was bottom tool "view in desktop" for anything other than viewing webpages using IE.
I haven't seen that at all and I use Metro IE all the time.

TPadden

I haven't seen that at all and I use Metro IE all the time.
..... just did it again when I tried to reply with a quote. Happen randomly when I add icons, pictures, cut and paste. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes. Always works on Desktop.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
..... just did it again when I tried to reply with a quote. Happen randomly when I add icons, pictures, cut and paste. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes. Always works on Desktop.
Try clearing the cache etc. if the normal steps don't resolve it try the Refresh your PC without affecting your files option.

TPadden

Try clearing the cache etc. if the normal steps don't resolve it try the Refresh your PC without affecting your files option.
Will do - but really doubt it will work for me as I have the same problem on 2 devices (RT and PRO2). The only add-on is LastPass .....