What's new

Surface Go 4 - no virtual backgrounds supported?

publictechguy

I love the Surface Go 4 - it is supposedly aimed at business (it's in the name) yet it says it does not support virtual backgrounds??? Even the Go 3 did? What's up?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
‍IDK - What app? Zoom has a list of supported processors etc. Perhaps they need to update the list ‍... think I'd ask them.

OP
P

publictechguy

It is Zoom. I would think Microsoft would have though through this issue as it is their hardware and software and it always worked on the Surface Go 3. They call this Surface Go 4 for Business - well video meetings plays a huge role to me.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
well if Zoom is not working because of their software choices, it's not under Microsoft's control.

OP
P

publictechguy

Turns out the I5 processor is a second generation chip and does not support virtual backgrounds. I still like the device in many ways but was surprised that a “business” version has an older chip. It does support green screen backgrounds but that doesn’t help when traveling!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Turns out the I5 processor is a second generation chip and does not support virtual backgrounds. I still like the device in many ways but was surprised that a “business” version has an older chip. It does support green screen backgrounds but that doesn’t help when traveling!
Looks like you copied a Zoom response which is nonsense.
the Go 4 has an Intel N200 chip not an i5 ... for that matter the GO 3 had either Pentium Gold 6500y or i3-10100y

I'll copy a Zoom response ...
------------------------------------------
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

I hear ya, its a weird set of system requirements, but that is how the system has been built and checks hardware. I'll pass along your feedback.
------------------------------------------

What this is saying is they are checking Hardware IDs and if it's not in their list they don't support it.
Since the Intel N200 is fairly new it's a safe bet the Hardware ID is not on their list.
When/if they update their software it will work.

The N200 uses UHD Graphics 770 while the GO 3 chips use UHD 615 - an older Intel Integrated GPU. I'm sure the UHD 770 isn't on their list either. Frankly, this is a stupid way for Zoom to be coding their app and leads to this type of problem. Their forums are full of complaints about Virtual Background not being supported because every time there is a new CPU/GPU they don't recognize it which is literally happening all the time.

Another user posted ...
-------------------------------
I should add that yes, it's much easier to use another package instead of Zoom. Google Meets, MS Teams, Slack and Skype all do the same job and work perfectly while Zoom says device does not support virtual backgrounds
-------------------------------

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spec Comparison of Go 3 and GO 4 CPUs
Intel product specifications

the GO 4 CPU is faster and more capable than the GO 3 CPUs
GO 4 Microsoft Corporation Surface Go 4 - plugged in best perf - Geekbench
GO 3 6500Y Microsoft Corporation Surface Go 3 - Geekbench
GO 3 i3-10100y Microsoft Corporation Surface Go 3 - Geekbench

UHD Graphics 770 Specs Intel UHD Graphics 770 Specs
UHD Graphics 615 Specs Intel UHD Graphics 615 Mobile Specs

There's no question the GO 4 is faster and more capable than the GO 3

impatiently drumming fingers waiting for a Zoom software update that recognizes newer better hardware.

OP
P

publictechguy

Thank you for being so right regarding Zoom Virtual backgrounds issue. There is so much misinformation here. I just tried Teams and the virtual background feature works perfectly. Since the Surface Go 4 chip is new I can only hope Zoom finds a way to make it work on my device.