What's new

Solved Will it provide full virtualization support?

SetTrend

For me it's important that I can bring my VMware Workstation VMs along during my trips.

Will the new Surface 4 Pro CPU/BIOS/UEFI provide all the up-to-date and required virtualization support?

leeshor

Based on what I have seen and read the i5 and i7 processors likely to be in the SP4 would support visualization. It does depend on the processor. The M3 version will not.

Just double checked the specs and the i5 and i7 models absolutely will.

Kif

For me it's important that I can bring my VMware Workstation VMs along during my trips.

Will the new Surface 4 Pro CPU/BIOS/UEFI provide all the up-to-date and required virtualization support?

On my Surface Pro 3 I'm been using VMware workstation (v10 and v11) without a hitch for the last 1.5 years. I can only image the same for the SP4.

M$user

Just installed VMware Workstation 12 Pro and installed an Ubuntu VM. Seems to perform fine but the resolution scaling sucks. When used in full screen everything is too tiny to be usable, and if I change the resolution to a more usable setting I'm only getting 3/4 screen coverage.

Anyone have any tips to fix this?

OP
S

SetTrend

Hmm, there are several options:
  1. If you set Workstation's Display settings to "Fullscreen: Stretch guest (no resolution change)" and lower the VM's resolution, Workstation will enlarge the guest's display to fit the screen.
  2. Windows comes with a DPI setting. I don't know about Ubuntu, but I'm sure it does, too. Raise the DPI settings to have everything displayed enlarged.

M$user

Hmm, there are several options:
  1. If you set Workstation's Display settings to "Fullscreen: Stretch guest (no resolution change)" and lower the VM's resolution, Workstation will enlarge the guest's display to fit the screen.
  2. Windows comes with a DPI setting. I don't know about Ubuntu, but I'm sure it does, too. Raise the DPI settings to have everything displayed enlarged.

What resolution are you lowering VM to? I've tried all options and I'm only getting about 75% coverage with a readable resolution. (There is still a black bar at the top of the screen).

DanJewell

I've had nothing but problems with scaling trying to run Windows 2012 images on VMWare Workstation 12 on my Surface Pro 4. The only way I can run the images is at a reduced resolution not in full screen mode. As soon as I change VMWare Workstation to display in Full Screen, the entire VM window goes black. I've never had so many problems when running VMWare on my other computer with 1080p display. Does anyone know if this is an issue with VMWare or Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 4?