What's new

Surface Pro 2 pen

surfash

This thing is(was, i don't know where it is) awesome! but it definitely needs a beacon or pager installed so i can find it!

this is not the first time i've misplaced it.

kozak79

I've already lost mine, but I bought a replacement:

Modbook Pro Digitizer Pen

It's pricey, but it has 2 (TWO!!!) buttons, like real Wacom Pens. It also comes with various Wacom replacement tips and a removal tool. Having two buttons lets me use the pen in ZBrush and Mudbox, which was super difficult with only one.

OP
S

surfash

thanks Kozak, interestingly enough OneNote only just asked me (the day before i lost it) if i was using the microsoft pen with one button or two. I might look into a two button version next. But i will stick to the microsoft product.

Ash

jrapdx

thanks Kozak, interestingly enough OneNote only just asked me (the day before i lost it) if i was using the microsoft pen with one button or two. I might look into a two button version next. But i will stick to the microsoft product.

Ash

One button or two, that is the question...

I haven't (yet) lost the OEM pen, but decided to try a 2-button model (Fuji Lifebook 5000, about $30). My side switch setup: lower button == middle click, upper button == right click, similar to the desktop Wacom drawing tablet pens I've long been used to.

What I've been finding out is drawing/image editing on the tablet is quite different compared to the desktop+drawing tablet. On the SP2 the second button on the pen has been unnecessary since the tip functions as MB1 and MB3. So the one-button pen still covers the MB1-3 functionality.

Of course, the second side button can be set to some other function, like double clicking and so on. More experimenting is called for, but so far, there's not been much utility for the second button. Obviously it could be important to other SP2 users, and who knows, I may yet find out I'm wrong about it.

OTOH an unmistakably compelling pen feature is the eraser button. For the kind of things I do, the eraser has been much more useful--and a higher priority--than the second side button.

Now all I have to do is practice, practice, practice and strive to learn how best to use these new and wonderful tools...

kozak79

The Modbook pen I mentioned has a Round eraser pen. Feels better than the square one on the original pen. Also, in the wacom driver, by default it's set to only activate the 2 buttons when the tip is pressed as well. You can turn that off and you can use the 2 buttons on the pen while hovering without actually touching. Makes navigation in drawing programs and 3d programs much easier. I'm now as comfortable with the Surface Pro 2 as I am with a Cintiq.

I made a custom Surface Pro 2 ArtDock. Great companion to the Pen.

SPA2 ArtDock by kozak79 on deviantART

gabe406

It's pricey, but it has 2 (TWO!!!) buttons, like real Wacom Pens. It also comes with various Wacom replacement tips and a removal tool. Having two buttons lets me use the pen in ZBrush and Mudbox, which was super difficult with only one.

I am very curious about this pen. I would like to use it with my SP1. What is involved in setting this pen up with the SP1, for example driver installs, configuration?

Thanks

kozak79

I am very curious about this pen. I would like to use it with my SP1. What is involved in setting this pen up with the SP1, for example driver installs, configuration?

Thanks

Nothing. It works out of the box. No Setup at all. If you want to customize the 2 buttons, use the Wacom Feel Driver to do so (Just google Wacom Feel Driver).

jrapdx

Nothing. It works out of the box. No Setup at all. If you want to customize the 2 buttons, use the Wacom Feel Driver to do so (Just google Wacom Feel Driver).

I have the Feel driver installed. It does allow options for both buttons (on 2-button pens), which is useful. I've also used the custom menu facility and triggered it with the 2nd pen button. Unfortunately the menu thing isn't versatile enough since there's only one menu--no provision for a custom menu per application. Maybe that will come later with the Wacom-promised upgrade to the driver.

The biggest issue with the Feel driver is how buggy it is. A couple of times the settings have inexplicably disappeared and I've had to re-enter them. If MS improved the stock pen driver to incorporate button settings, etc., that would probably be a better solution.

ruthy13

Hi,
I had my surface pro 2 pen stolen (god knows why they stole it lol) but when I went to order a replacement I was told that Windows is no longer selling them.
Do you have the same surface model?
If you do, what pen would you suggest I buy?
I apologize if the answer to that is already on this thread somewhere but there are just so many replies that I thought it best to ask you directly :)
Thank you

kozak79

Hi,
I had my surface pro 2 pen stolen (god knows why they stole it lol) but when I went to order a replacement I was told that Windows is no longer selling them.
Do you have the same surface model?
If you do, what pen would you suggest I buy?
I apologize if the answer to that is already on this thread somewhere but there are just so many replies that I thought it best to ask you directly :)
Thank you

I think your best bet for replacement pens would be eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ro+2+pen.TRS0&_nkw=surface+pro+2+pen&_sacat=0