What's new

Surface Pro 3 launched - 12" tablet, 9mm thick, 2160x1440

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So now it's confirmed we're stuck without connected standby in sfpro <= 2. Great.

Btw, Anandtech confirms CPU on sfpro3 is 4300U, performance differences are negligible compared with SFPro2.

Connected Standby requires TPM 2.0 and a SoC, the Pro and Pro 2 had neither, it appears the Intel help create a SoC for the U Platform (Y had One) and MS implemented TPM 2.0 into SP3 so Connected Standby Support...

Connected Standby requires TPM 2.0 and a SoC, the Pro and Pro 2 had neither, it appears the Intel help create a SoC for the U Platform (Y had One) and MS implemented TPM 2.0 into SP3 so Connected Standby Support...
I know the official specs say TPM2, but let's be honest: the spec is written by MS itself. Most of the changes required are in the drivers or software. The TPM
isn't even used in most configurations.

I know its useless to ask, but now that MS has shown that they have done the required driver work, they could show a small token of appreciation to srpro 1/2 and toggle the firmware switch.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Btw, I hope the SP3 will come with the "pen" in the box. Or, would it have to be bought separately, like the Type Cover?

Korlon

I'm a little bit disappointed.
1) No mention of any sort of housing for the pen, so I assume there is none. This was the biggest physical design complaint I've heard since the SPro release.
2) Same integrated Intel 4400 GPU, will be interesting to see how long the SP3 keeps up with the increased hardware demands of games even at 720p resolution ... on a new 12" HD clear type 2160x1440 216 PPI display... sigh what a waste
3) New 12" display pretty much means new accessories almost across the board.
4) No second USB port to help out accessories with higher power demands/Y-cable

(edit) apparently the I7's will come with Intel HD 5000 integrated graphics which still will not be able to play games like skyrim at full resolution.

Last edited:

mohcho

I saw a video review of the type cover having a little loop that will hold the pen. The magnetic port holder on the SP2 for the pen is stupid because it only works when you aren't charging it, otherwise, there's no other way to hold the pen with the SP2.

The question I have is whether the original covers will work with the SP3? The mounting part looks the same.

MCube74

2) Same integrated Intel 4400 GPU, will be interesting to see how long the SP3 keeps up with the increased hardware demands of games even at 720p resolution ... on a new 12" HD clear type 2160x1440 216 PPI display... sigh what a waste

If Microsoft will release a new tablet every 6 months, we can only hope that the next Surface Pro will have a newer CPU chip and also a better display card. The Surface Pro 3 currently looks to be a pro2 but just bigger and slimmer.

Microsoft should have named the product Surface Pro 2 XL or Surface Pro 2 Mega.

Last edited:

Korlon

If they are going to a 6 month cycle, which to me seems overly ambitious and impracticable for users considering the cost of the higher end I7 core machines, many of us will quite obviously skip the SP3 for its overall lack of improvements plus added expense of a new docking system, keyboard/power cover (if there is to be one) etc.

I read in an article a few months back that MS had the next three generations of surface already planned out. If this is the case then I have to assume either hardware availability limited MS from creating a head turner product or MS thinking is too rigid for the consumers evolving expectations. In the end I don't think it was necessary to push out the SP3 so soon. MS could have waited and put out a more compelling product in Q4 or in Q1 2015.

BTW, PCworld had an accessory listed.... Pen Loop $4.99. Nearly broke out in laughter!

demandarin

Heres some slightly good news. Go here, Buy the new 12-inch Surface Pro 3 - Microsoft Store

At the bottom in the FAQ its asked if previous generations type or touch covers will work. They say it will click in and work. But the new pro3 covers would be best though. This is coming from MS themselves on their own page. Migjt save some people $$ initially.

Can u verify that JnJ?

mohcho

Heres some slightly good news. Go here, Buy the new 12-inch Surface Pro 3 - Microsoft Store

At the bottom in the FAQ its asked if previous generations type or touch covers will work. They say it will click in and work. But the new pro3 covers would be best though. This is coming from MS themselves on their own page. Migjt save some people $$ initially.

Can u verify that JnJ?

I just read that as well. Looks like the new type cover is wider and longer to accommodate the extra magnet portion of the cover, but the base connector is the same. It would look rather stupid to have the shorter cover on the SP3 though not covering the entire screen when closed.