Surface -> Surface 2 Trade in Program

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by chrisleung, Sep 16, 2013.

1. chrisleung

chrisleung Member

Hey guys, I was just browsing Reddit and this guy posted saying he called the Microsoft store, who said:

Link: Tripped and broke the kickstand on my Surface Pro. I have Microsoft Complete. What should I do? : Surface

If this is true, then that is definitely good on part of MS towards its existing users.

However, I am guessing that most of the non-Microsoft warranty programs will not transfer over, if people decide to trade in.
  2. demandarin

demandarin Active Member

That's big news. Only thing now is how much credit will they give me for my 128gb surface pro that's still basically brand-new. About 3weeks and a few days old.

More details will come out once event is over.
  3. demandarin

demandarin Active Member

Ill call MS store in my area today after work to confirm this.
  4. demandarin

demandarin Active Member

Doesn't best buy have trade in thing also? That's where I actually got mines from.
  5. presidentk1

presidentk1 New Member

You should go and return yours for a full refund, rather than trade it in at a loss
  6. chrisleung

chrisleung Member

You can't. MS has a VERY strict return policy of 14 days. One day over and you're out of luck.

**Edit: As of September 20, 2013 Microsoft's return policy is currently at 30 days (according to their website). Best Buy, Staples is apparently at 15 days for the Surface. Sorry for the error!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Spaniard

Spaniard Active Member

If it were true:
    1049.gif

If it were false:
    tumblr_m26nvnNG5o1qkk10ro1_500.jpg
  8. mtalinm

mtalinm Active Member

this would be very smart of them. I thought they were going to stiff us by holding the powercover until late in the year, but if you can do an paid upgrade on the hw tht's awesome
  9. Name Taken

Name Taken New Member

Lots of people seem to be exchanging theirs for a brand new unopened one if they have extended warranty then reselling it for ~$700.
  10. gangolfus

gangolfus Member

This thread is misleading. This is not a trade-up program. This is for MICROSOFT COMPLETE WARRANTY CLAIMS ONLY. If your Surface Pro bites the dust and you make a warranty claim, they will replace your SP with another SP unless you pay an upgrade fee to the SP2.

***IF YOU DO NOT HAVE MICROSOFT COMPLETE YOU CANNOT TRADE IN YOUR SP FOR AN SP2!!***

Reading is hard.
  11. Ruffles

Ruffles Active Member

Still, sweet deal though as I have the MS complete warranty and I want to upgrade. I'd much rather exchange it and pay the diff rather than deal with selling it.
  12. demandarin

demandarin Active Member

OK, I just called and got some good info. As far as they know there is no surface trade in program so far. BUT they have a general trade in program anyways. So you can take your surface in and have it evaluated/appraised on value. Then if you like the amount, you get it on a giftcard. Which then can be put towards the new surface. This goes for any surface, whether pro or RT. So that's good. I think they also factor into the value on if device is wiped or not. If they have to go in and erase stuff to free storage, u might get less.

Other good news is in Ipad trade in program. As all the news on it shows ipad2 and up. So even if your Ipad 1st generation doesn't fall under that, you can still trade it in under the regualr trade in program they have. Where they will evaluate its worth. With cosmetic quality of device factoring in big.
    She said it'd be better under regular trade in program because the Ipad deal gift cards expire or have to be used by end of October. At least that's what they said. Under regular trade in program, u can use it whenever.

Glad I called. So we have options either way.
    2 people like this.
  13. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Stop tempting me into an upgrade, I really can't afford it!

The thing that annoys me is I was always planning to get a new computer for Christmas this year. But then I thought nah, can't wait now the Surface Pro is out so went and got one...

Maybe I should have stuck to my original plan [​IMG]
  14. demandarin

demandarin Active Member

I just purchased it...too good of a deal to pass up. I could still get Asus down the road and sell this RT for a small profit later. But I'm pretty sure my woman going to love it. Then we can share my type cover also.

They were running low...these things been selling like crazy since last night. The thing that sold me it being 64gb. A helluva deal.

Anyone else that wants one better hurry...they almost sold out.
  15. chrisleung

chrisleung Member

Good to hear the Surfaces are selling well now. Is it the RT's that are selling well or the Pros? Or both?

Wanna buy one for me too? :p
  16. gabe406

gabe406 Member

I purchased an SP1 with 128GB in May of this year. It is in mint condition with a screen cover and never had any problems with it. I brought it to the same MS store I purchased it in Connecticut and asked what credit could I get if I purchase the SP2. The staff behind the counter went to a website (I failed to see what the url was) and told me I could get $237 of credit for it. I told him "honestly, do you really believe that this unit is worth only $237, even if I buy the new SP2 when it comes out". His reply was that that the website is what determines the trade in cost and he could not negotiate a better deal. I am posting this to see if and what others are getting for trade-in values because I can't believe a 5 month old $999 SP1 128GB is only worth $237!?!? I would be curious what others have to say.
  17. demandarin

demandarin Active Member

Its the surface RT selling on.eBay like crazy. I'm sure buy now surface RT sales in total are now surpassing the pro versions. These devices still come with 1 year warranty. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Chris, we need you to release your new case already. How close are you to finalizing/releasing?
  18. demandarin

demandarin Active Member

No way! I will not take a loss like that on my pro that's still not even a month old...that's crazy prices. A pawn shop will likely pay more than.that. a shame at that price.
  19. chrisleung

chrisleung Member

Waiting for MS Surface 2 announcement on the 23rd about the new kickstand angles and to confirm the dimensions of the Surface 2. Once that comes around, will announce the next steps :)
  20. presidentk1

presidentk1 New Member

This couldn't be further from the truth
    And I can say this based on my own personal experience