What's new

Throttling - Time to put it to bed

Liam2349

heavy throttling is inaccurate. the i5 stabilized at 86% of max.

I believe that tests conducted using firmware prior to 8/19 may be invalid.

A great way to test this out would be to run the DOTA test that Anandtech did. Same settings, see what results you get. Good test for CPU and GPU together.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A great way to test this out would be to run the DOTA test that Anandtech did. Same settings, see what results you get. Good test for CPU and GPU together.
Lets look at the whole picture not just one test.
In the cinebench, pcmark, 3DMark test group: SP3 won 4, SP2 won 5, with 2 Ties.
most differences were less than 10% with 1 each between 10 & 15% difference (11 & 13%).

In the browser test & other 3D mark group: SP3 won 7, SP2 won Zero, No Ties.
3 test were won by 10% or more, 4 less than 10%.

Then you have DOTA and WIFI. sp2 wins DOTA by 40% and SP3 wins WIFI by 39%.

SP3 handily won all the browser tests, and the WIFI test and was pretty even on the rest with only one exception. You know what. I don't even have to think about this. I'll take the SP3 every time.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
People are quick to forget that both the SP1 and to a certain degree the SP2 all had their thermal throttle thresholds modified over the course of the device...

For the vast majority of users (enthusiast and power users that you find on boards withstanding), the form factor more than greatly compensates for any performance decreases...

The SP1 and SP2 were derided for how chunky and heavy they were and users lamented for a Pro in the Surface 2 form factor, we go it...

megatronium

What is the big deal? They still sell the SP2 for those that want it, heavily discounted mind you. Then there's the SP3 which is a different machine and offers different advantages. Where has Microsoft said "The SP3 outperforms the SP2 in sustained performance!"? What is the point of the SP2 lovers lurking the SP3 forum?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh dear Lord, I just tested a Lenovo X1 and guess what. IT THROTTLES. harrumph!!!

Serious Thermal Throttling with CPU running at 97C.

Last edited:

ctitanic

Frank I luv ur passion, LOL but liam is right, for others out there that are power users they need all the power they can get and the SP3 falls a little short from the heavy throttling... but that doesn't make the SP3 a bad device, not by a long shot!
And I'm pointing that those affected are the minority.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have always liked the Lenovo X1 and it performs great.
Intel XTU Benchmark:
X1: 282
SP3: 340