What's new

Using the SP3 in bed/couch safe?

ctitanic

This is an interesting topic because besides the other purposes, books and tablets have found the way into our beds.

That said, if you leave the tablet unused most likely the fan never will start so there is little need of ventilation. If a maintenance activity starts such as an AV running and your Tablet gets hot due to poor Ventilation there are safe mechanisms that will turn off the device to preserve the CPU integrity.

Of course, I will always would recommend to use a little of common sense when using these $$$$ devices.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Thanks for the replies. I will just have to get used to the heat this thing puts out on my lap. Been using ipads over the past 4 years in bed as my go to reading device so it will take some adjustment.

Maybe Im the only one who is extra cautious. I will have to make a habit of shutting down the SP3 before bed each night as opposed to just turning the display off on my ipad.

ctitanic

Thanks for the replies. I will just have to get used to the heat this thing puts out on my lap. Been using ipads over the past 4 years in bed as my go to reading device so it will take some adjustment.

Maybe Im the only one who is extra cautious. I will have to make a habit of shutting down the SP3 before bed each night as opposed to just turning the display off on my ipad.
I sent mine every might to hibernation to preserve battery. I don't use connected standby while I'm sleeping ;)

dleuen

I use my SP3 on the couch all the time and never notice any heat, mostly web browsing. My iPad never gets used anymore. I don't worry about the power either, just put it in standby and let it hibernate overnight. Also I never have the keyboard nor any cover attached. At first it felt risky to always leave it out without a cover or anything but I did purchase Microsoft Complete and I back it up regularly just in case. Also no pets nor small children around to damage it. I like the light weight and thinness too much to bulk it up with a cover. The only time I use the keyboard and case is when I take it into the office.

OP
K

kiwigirl

I use my SP3 on the couch all the time and never notice any heat, mostly web browsing. My iPad never gets used anymore. I don't worry about the power either, just put it in standby and let it hibernate overnight. Also I never have the keyboard nor any cover attached. At first it felt risky to always leave it out without a cover or anything but I did purchase Microsoft Complete and I back it up regularly just in case. Also no pets nor small children around to damage it. I like the light weight and thinness too much to bulk it up with a cover. The only time I use the keyboard and case is when I take it into the office.

I agree, using as tablet, it feels much better without the cover. With the cover on, it feels too clunky and i dont feel comfortable having the keys mashed. The magnet seems strong and most likely wont become less effective over time from all the attach/detaching of the cover. But for me, I will be using it as a tablet for 5 out 7 days of the week and keyboard two. So attaching and detaching the keyboard mybe 3-4 times a week shouldnt affect the magnet long term, I hope.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Maybe its just me, but a personal pet peeve of mine is that Im SUPER picky about keyboard flex on laptops and this is obviously a bit different on the SP3 because its a fabric housed keyboard and not plastic. So whether or not my keyboard is completely perfectly flat on the table when its connected is critiical for me. I actually had to exchange 3 keyboards yesterday cause they didnt sit perfectly flat on tables when connected to the surface.

Technically you should be able to press down on all 4 corners of the keyboard and have absolutely no movement at all in the keyboard moving downwards.

The one I have now, isnt perfect (it has a slight raise when pressing down around the backspace and ESC keys) but its not an issue and as much as I would love it perfectly flat, i dont think thats gonna happen seeing what material these are made of and that theyre not plastic housed keyboards. Its just not realistic I think.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, using as tablet, it feels much better without the cover. With the cover on, it feels too clunky and i dont feel comfortable having the keys mashed. The magnet seems strong and most likely wont become less effective over time from all the attach/detaching of the cover. But for me, I will be using it as a tablet for 5 out 7 days of the week and keyboard two. So attaching and detaching the keyboard mybe 3-4 times a week shouldnt affect the magnet long term, I hope.
These are strong magnets not like those refrigerator card magnets, I don't think you'll weaken them in years of everyday use.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my surface in bed every now and then, as the vents are along the top and top sides there's little issue with blocking them, less so than a traditional laptop. I very often unceremoniously rip off the keyboard and throw it away (I know it's no way to treat an expensive accessory, but the fact I feel comfortable enough to do that means I have no issue with the build. So far I've not had any issues with my keyboard. When I'm using it as a tablet in my hand, if I don't want to detach the keyboard I turn it around and put it on backwards so my hand isn't mashing the keys.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Im using the full screen res and find the start menu and windows text too small. Any way to make this larger?

I know i can lower the screen res, but then its not near as sharp. I tried 1920x1080 and it didnt look as good