What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Frustrating flashing these because Windows will just replace them with their hamstrung SP3 drivers first chance they get. MS not huge fans of letting us use the drivers we want. They know best.

3212507.jpg

Compusmurf

first. old control panel, system, advanced, hardware, device install. check No and NEVER. Then you have to UNINSTALL and delete device driver and set to microsoft VGA or base default.

Then you have to run a block program to tell it NOT to pull driver update from WU.

IT is not for the weak or non IT guy. :) If you want the bat file script, let me know.

mitchellvii

first. old control panel, system, advanced, hardware, device install. check No and NEVER. Then you have to UNINSTALL and delete device driver and set to microsoft VGA or base default.

Then you have to run a block program to tell it NOT to pull driver update from WU.

IT is not for the weak or non IT guy. :) If you want the bat file script, let me know.

Sure bat file script would be awesome. :)

The new HD Control Panel is very cool.

Last edited:

Compusmurf

Sure bat file script would be awesome. :)

The new HD Control Panel is very cool.
Ok, after you do all the other steps, make a txt file, put all this in it.... then rename it as .vbs and execute it as admin.

'This script can be used to hide a driver if it is causing problems on your machine, you have uninstalled it, and you want to prevent Windows Update from reinstalling it
Set updateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
updateSession.ClientApplicationID = "MSDN Sample Script to Hide drivers"
WScript.Echo "This script allows you to 'hide' selected drivers so Windows Update will not auto-install them" & vbCr & vbLf & _
"This is not normally recommended, but can be used for troubleshooting or support" & vbCr & vbLf & _
"Note: This script must be run elevated (run as admin) to work properly - else (un)hiding will fail with a cryptic error message" & vbCr & vbLf & vbLf & _
"Searching for applicable drivers..."
'Find all applicable drivers
Set updateSearcher = updateSession.CreateupdateSearcher()
Set searchResult = updateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Driver'")
If searchResult.Updates.Count = 0 Then
WScript.Echo "No applicable drivers..."
WScript.Quit
End If
'Cycle through applicable drivers and offer to (un)hide each one
For i = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1
Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(i)
currentState = "(currently not hidden)"
If (update.IsHidden <> 0) Then
currentState = "(currently hidden)"
End If
WScript.Echo "Type 'y' and then hit Enter to hide update " & update.Title & " " & currentState & ": "
hide = WScript.StdIn.Readline
If hide = "y" Then
If (update.IsHidden <> 1) Then
update.IsHidden = 1
End If
Else
If (update.IsHidden <> 0) Then
update.IsHidden = 0
End If
End If
Next

Compusmurf

The above stuff and that script, will allow you to block it "temporarily" until they release a newer version of the driver on win update. Once that happens, you'll have to redo the steps. Also, have to redo the steps with new insider preview, reinstall, refresh, rollback, etc.

It's annoying and a pain, but it works. It's a hold over until they turn on the update blocking feature after release. :)

Folks, anyone else, don't run the script and stuff unless you know what you're doing and know how to undo everything. I get paid to do IT, but not for you guys. If you break something, it's on you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.