What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

That was actually the answer I was looking for, don't want to burn out my sp3 trying it out.

Kif

Yes, I always Dogfood my testing...I load it on my production machine. This way I learn it and I can give real world feedback. VM testing can only go so far as the hardware is still abstracted.

In a VM you could provide input regarding the interface, application compatibility, finding bugs, etc... I'm not disagreeing that hardware testing is super important but VM testing can get you a lot of mileage. Heck when hyper-v is enabled everything but the hypervisor is abstracted from the hardware.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In a VM you could provide input regarding the interface, application compatibility, finding bugs, etc... I'm not disagreeing that hardware testing is super important but VM testing can get you a lot of mileage. Heck when hyper-v is enabled everything but the hypervisor is abstracted from the hardware.
The number one bug in all Betas are Drivers, this is where Bare Metal Installs come in handy, I fully understand the VM lure, but for what I want on the other side I need to do it on real hardware. I want to advocate for the Touch UI/Tablet User

wditters

I have not gone the entire way yet, but I will once someone can confirm that VMware Workstation 10 will run on W10 so that I can run my W7 production machines:)

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Using touch or mouse just feels both easier, more natural. .... For the first time, I feel I'm using an OS as much fun with finger than with a mouse. Pure magic....

Well said, Clovismod.

Here is something I noticed from the first few minutes: Metro apps (which download or upload content) run MUCH FASTER in the desktop. For example, using the Zinio Reader magazine app, multiple magazines are downloaded simultaneously, at the speed that only a single magazine was downloaded on Windows 8.1. It is as if some kind of limit or regulation or inefficiency or sequencing or other hindrance was forced upon apps by Windows 8.1 in Metro mode. But now, throughput is faster. The app has not been updated.

My WiFi throughput is no faster, and no slower, so that is not the reason for the better performance.

See the screenshot below for an example: I went back to the beginning of the year and started downloading magazines. The purple lines at the bottom of the cover images were moving on three or four magazines simultaneously. Only one at a time downloaded on Windows 8 or 8.1 . I know how this used to work very well, and the difference is stunning. Even with Stardock's utilities which could bring Metro apps sort of into Desktop windows, did not produce the vast improvement I am realizing.

The same is true of the way Kindle books download: each one is faster, though I had tens of books downloading simultaneously.

Other apps I've fund that work better are: iHeart Radio, Flipbook, Mail (yes, the Microsoft one), Pandora One, Pandora Touch, Flixter. Heck, it seems like all of them.

Please, somebody on the "Windows 10 on Surface Pro 2" confirm this on their machine, also...

Screenshot (15).png

Last edited:

Kris

Really thinking about installing this on my SP3, love the way it looks and the new features. I have a few concerns with it being a preview, so waiting on the 10 hour download for the recovery image before I install it...

Anything I should know before I upgrade?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Kris,

As long as you don't need VPN for business or other vital communications, what you need to know is: You're in for a good experience.

wynand32

Oh, and seriously, I guess I'll do the install after all. Seems like lots of you are loving it, and that's good enough for me.

Kris

Would you people please stop posting success stories? Honestly, I don't need to be putting a preview OS on my freaking school tablet. I don't need this kind of pressure!
lol was just about to post how much I am loving it so far... sorry but but the SP3 was/is pretty buggy itself. If I find something horribly wrong with it I will make sure to post it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.