Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Also be sure to "Verify" your account in order to get all your (Microsoft Store Beta) apps back.

r0b123

I installed the new build 9926. My fan is now definitely running as I can hear the "jet fan" sound as others described earlier. The new start menu and icons are more visually bigger and actually eye appealing. I'm going to run through other areas but here's the list of features from the Insider Hub...

This latest build includes the following new features and enhancements:

•Cortana on the desktop: Cortana is your new digital assistant. She can help you search your PC and the web, carry out tasks (like setting reminders), and provide personalized suggestions. You can access Cortana from the taskbar or talk to her by selecting the microphone icon—or go hands-free and just say “Hey Cortana” (turn on this feature in Cortana settings). To customize Cortana suggestions, open Cortana’s Notebook and add interests. Cortana can learn your preferences and provide smarter recommendations over time. Note: Cortana is currently available for U.S. English only. However, search will work in all languages.

•New Start menu: Expand to a full-screen experience and customize the color of your Start screen.

•New Settings app: We’ve made Settings icon-based and reorganized the categories to be more familiar. You can also use Search within the app to find the setting you want, as well as Control panel pages.

•Easier connection to wireless audio and video: We’ve made it much easier for you to find and connect to wireless audio and video devices that support technologies like Bluetooth and Miracast. To connect, select the Connect button in the new Action center, or use the Windows+P keyboard shortcut from anywhere on your PC. When connecting to wired and wireless screens, choose to Duplicate or Extend the desktop to control a device's projection style.

•New Photos and Maps apps: The Photos app will show your photos stored locally on your PC and OneDrive, and give you a bevy of editing options. Note: Some features, like the ability to create albums, are not yet enabled.

•Windows Store Beta: The NEW Windows Store Beta is a *gray* tile in the Start menu or on the taskbar and the current Windows Store remains available in the Build as a *green* tile. Both the app selection and markets where the Store Beta is available is limited for now, and only basic functionality is available in this release. You can browse, search, and download apps. International credit card, gift cards and PayPal can all be used to pay for apps and games. In-app purchases aren't available for apps downloaded through the Store Beta, though apps you already own with in-app purchase capabilities can be used. However, the ability to purchase additional in-app content is currently disabled. You can purchase apps on a device running Windows 8.1 and use those apps in this build of Windows 10, but not vice versa.

•New Xbox app: For details on the functionality the Xbox app has in this build, click here.

Cask

Jet fan is normal right after setup, as windows keeps indexing, and running optimization a in general. Leave it idle for a while and it will be running as quiet as windows 8.1, at least in my experience. Had some problems with screen mirroring streaming to my Samsung Tv especially with iTunes movies, but other than that it runs very well. Animations are not very smooth but I guess that's expected, after all we are probably 6 months + from RTM.

lhauser

I am completely stymied. Nothing I do will allow me to boot my SP3 from a USB drive. I've put the ISO on two different drives using Microsoft's USB DVD Download Tool. Both USBs boot my Lenovo laptop to the installer, but nothing I can do will make my SP3 boot from either of the USB drives. I try the volume down reboot from a cold start, and booting from the recovery screen in Windows.

The last time I did this was after I reinstalled Win 8.1 from the downloaded recovery image after deciding I didn't want to use the original release of Win 10. Worked perfectly.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. I really like it. A snap to start apps and programs. Responsive. Intuitive.
Lync and VPN work perfectly. Caps Lock toggle and light works.

- Positive surprise: On-screen keyboard can be moved to wherever it is needed.
- Negative surprise: Still no way to disable 'tap to click' on the Trackpad.

Group names I use (verbs):
See & Hear ... sound and video, movies, radio
Read & Learn ... books, magazines, news, websites
Chat & Share ... communications
Travel & Shop & Save ...
Exercise & Play ... health and games
Work & Office ... my vocation
Tweak & Adjust ... system settings and utilities

Screenshot (4).png

View attachment 5104

Screenshot (15).png

View attachment 5103

Screenshot (17).png

View attachment 5103

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

bmack

I don't like that there is no way to change from the vertical scroll to horizontal. Also, there is no touch gesture to access the secondary menu in modern apps ( use to be swipe up or down in windows 8.1). Other than that I'm enjoying it.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@HolyProt, Make sure you are 'verified' as a user of your computer. After doing this, most of my apps came in. The Store Beta held out 2 of my apps for about two hours, then they finally downloaded, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.