What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rege0039

Did we get an answer on what Intel drivers are best for the new build, and where to get them from ?

I ask as I have had a couple of crashes with some artefacts etc and wonder if a driver update would help.

I'm on 10.18.10.3496 (7th March 2014).

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hey how do we change the background color or opacity of the Start Button Menu? No matter what I do it is dark gray and 100% opacity.

By default, the hue and saturation for the background of the Start Menu and MUI background is auto-chosen to coordinate with your desktop wallpaper. It is mathematically derived using an algorithm to be attractive to the eye, similar to the how colors are chosen for the 'ambient light' that some televisions can emit onto adjacent walls. The color is not exactly the "average" of all pixels of your wallpaper image, but instead, the human impression of coordination for such colors. Apple does this too with the dock menu and top menu bar.

A similar scheme is used for the Windows Taskbar hue and saturation, but deliberately different in color and transparency than the Start Menu color.

Look back at screenshots in this thread - notice the Start Menu colors changing.

However, you can override the background color for the Start Menu by a right-click on a blank area of the Start Menu tile area, and choosing Personalize.

Screenshot (102).png

Screenshot (103).png

mitchellvii

I wish they would let me make the Start Button Menu background semi-transparent. I prefer that. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a Stardock hack for that shortly.

r0b123

Yes, happens here too since the Windows 10 update

Yea I see this too and its very annoying. Almost feels like my Surface crashes then comes right back up. I wonder if anyone has tried different video drivers and has the same results?

bluegrass

I wonder if someone that has seen the problem has reported it. It's likely that there are going to be these situations come up and reporting them is part of what the preview is all about. Stamp them bugs out before the final release.

Gary.M

I wonder if someone that has seen the problem has reported it. It's likely that there are going to be these situations come up and reporting them is part of what the preview is all about. Stamp them bugs out before the final release.
Yes, I reported it

bluegrass

You guys seen this?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/visiontek-ssd-usb-3.0-bus-powered-usb-stick,27946.html

Sounds like a possible answer to those that want to play with 10 yet keep 8.1 as the main without partitioning the SP3 SSD.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just ordered a 256 gig USB SSD but it won't have the features that this has for a portable OS. I'm definitely going to get one. I'm just not sure how t make the preview iso boot from this drive. I'll figure it out though.

Done. I ordered the 240 gig. If for some reason I can't get 10 to boot from it, it will still be a hell of a fast USB SSD.

Last edited:

r0b123

Since I wasn't able to do a dual-boot, just ordered that new USB SSD drive in a 120GB option. Will be very fast and useful for my Win8.1 standby system even though the new build of Windows 10 TP has been pretty reliable. Thanks for posting!

Knuck

I am surprised no one else seems to have had any serious problems with the most recent technical preview build 9860. Immediately after it was installed it wouldn't lock onto a wifi network and continually bounced back from one available network to another. Once it finally locked on, the CPU never ran at less than 40%, even at idle, killing battery life and always running hot. Reverted back to the previous build and all is well. I would have thought this would have been a Marvell driver SP3 issue. I wonder why I am the only one experiencing this. I have reported it. I'll wait for the next build and consider updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.