What's new

Windows 10 upgrade on a SP2 thread

benjitek

I experienced the the wireless connection dropping issue a couple betas ago, but it has since worked flawlessly and continues to do so after a clean install on my SP2...

GoodBytes

I experienced the the wireless connection dropping issue a couple betas ago, but it has since worked flawlessly and continues to do so after a clean install on my SP2...
Don't know I had the last Build on it. I frequently switch network me. I pop-it up waiting for the bus, work, home.

Oh and full screen videos where freezing, and I had a not so good experience using my Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (it is a: wireless display adapter. Nice naming MS! :p), while in Windows 8.1 I can be on the other side of my fairly large apartment. And my place, is complete with cement walls (this was build before drywall was a thing. They used metal studs, with thick chicken wire metal mesh, and you had an expert putting cement on it and try and build a straight wall, then lots of plaster, and of course, paint). I live in Canada, so our houses are overly well build to the top all in order to contain heat (winter -35C) and cold from A/C (summer +35C).

So, with Windows 8.1 display wireless adapter is working above and beyond. I can be anywhere, it streamed perfectly 1080p with half a second from my SP2 to the TV lag (audio comes out of the TV in sync with the content)! But with Windows 10 it sucked. I needed to be next to the TV and still skipping, had a 2sec delay at 1080p, and also full screen video was freezing, had to exit full screen and put it back up. Had to do this at least 5 times in a 1h 30min movie from Netflix. (and it's not a Netflix thing... it happens with ALL videos, even downloaded .avi, wmv, and playback of DVD's, tried with VLC, Windows Media Player, the video player app of Windows 10, Flash with YouTube, HTML5 with YouTube and other sites, and well, Netflix)

So that is why I am waiting... I am very excited, I used it since the public beta appeared of Win10 on my desktop, and was generally awesome, especially now. Sadly, when Microsoft said that it isn't ready on the Surface Pro 2, they really meant it, at least in my opinion/experience. So every day I am like "Cooommmmmonnn Intel, get your stuff together, and Marvell too! Why are you now starting developing your drivers? You had well over 6 months!". :)

Last edited by a moderator:

godashram

I noticed sleep issues of 2 different Surface Pro 2s here. Normally, either closing the type covers, waiting 5 minutes or tapping power would put them to sleep. now they both will wake themselves up within 5-10 seconds.

OP
S

starstreak

That's didn't make sense. You said the computer is in sleep mode. Tapping on keys or the power wakes it up. That's normal.

GoodBytes

I think he means that his SP2 is not going to sleep. It wakes up on his own.
I think Microsoft released a new firmware update that fixes that. But I recall this problem when I was under the Insider Preview, before the latest firmware that was recently released

tele-bleeder

After upgrading my Surface Pro 2 to Windows 10 I cannot connect to the internet - I connect to my wireless network but can get no further. All other devices on my wireless network work fine. When I revert the Surface Pro 2 back to Windows 8.1 everything works fine. I can see the Surface Pro 2 from other PC's on my network but cannot connect to it. Can anyone suggest a solution please?

godashram

That's didn't make sense. You said the computer is in sleep mode. Tapping on keys or the power wakes it up. That's normal.
How did it NOT make sense?

"I noticed sleep issues of 2 different Surface Pro 2s here. Normally, either closing the type covers, waiting 5 minutes or tapping power would put them to sleep. now they both will wake themselves up within 5-10 seconds."

I said I had sleep issues, said how I normally put the SP2s to sleep, and that they both wake themselves in seconds. Not that the systems were asleep and that i woke them. Waking in seconds without doing anything is not normal

benjitek

How did it NOT make sense?...
I had all sorts of issues with Sleep-mode on my SP2 when it was Windows 8 and 8.1 -- would always wake up when unattended -- tried tweaking what I could, nothing worked. Finally I just set the power button to Hibernate and turned off the cover from doing anything. The SSD is so fast that turning it back on is fairly instantaneous. It never turns on by itself anymore. The flipside is Hibernate does add a lot of disk writing to the process, not always ideal when it comes to your SSD shelf-life.

LuckyL

I updated my 2 SP2s to Windows 10 a few days ago and I am rebuilding both to Windows 8 as I type this. I can confirm some of the observations made on this thread:

1. when attaching the Type keyboard and closing the lid, nothing happens, the screen stays on. The setting for this action is "sleep".
2. when pressing the power button, the screen turns off and within a few seconds it turns itself on. The setting for this action is "sleep".
3. battery life has more than halved: I get max. 2.5 hours use out of a charge.
4. while I like the fact that you can automatically switch to tablet mode when detaching the keyboard, the new tablet mode is awkward: it's almost impossible to move tiles precisely via touch. Since the layout is not preserved over the upgrade, I had to redo it all and eventually had to resort to a mouse to get the job done. Very frustrating experience.
5. edge is an inadequate replacement for MUI IE. Because of this and the point above and some others), the SP2 has become less usable as a tablet.

These are just the Surface specific issues, not to mention the poor UI (the amount of tedious UI hack and tweaks tips you find for Windows 10 is astonishing) and the counter intuitive settings which have been out all over the place again.

I might be willing to put up with some of the problems if I saw improvements in Windows 10, but I don't see any. There is not a single feature that would offer me any advantage or functional gain. It's simply worse that its predecessor - in almost any aspect or at best, where it IS working, just as good. That's not progress, it's a step back.

It's a pity, I was sticking out for the SP4 for my next hardware upgrade but as that will come with Windows 10 out of the box, that will be a non-starter and I wonder what would be my next system.

EDIT:

brilliant, I am now running into

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3f01mi/windows_10_inaccessible_boot_device_after_reset/

my advice:hands off Windows 10

Last edited:

GoodBytes

I have to disagree with you. Windows 10 is nice OS.
The problem you face are why the "Get Windows 10" app says that the device is not ready. Manufactures started to work on their drivers at the last minute (another Vista story.. at least manufactures don't force you to buy new hardware this time fro Vista support, as they saw that this "brilliant" decision making only made people switch to other companies that don't do this and provide proper support).

Intel power saving feature for example, does not work properly under Windows 10, so the graphics solutions stays under full power, hence why it reduced your system battery life. All laptops with Intel integrated graphics, including the SP3 has this problem. And we can go on this for everything.

I recommend to follow what "Get Windows 10" app says. When the system will be ready, meaning it will get Microsoft OK, now you can upgrade to Windows 10. Until then, stick with 8.1. When the device is not ready, Microsoft means it.