What's new

Windows 10 upgrade on a SP2 thread

Hoping to just have one thread, can people just post here on what they are finding after upgrading or clean install of Windows 10 on their SP2?

So far, besides Win10 bugs like file type association being lost, I noticed my shutdown/sleep/hibernate is working weird. I have my power button set to power down. Before, I could press it, and have my SP2 shut down. Press it again, and it will power on. Now, sometimes I press it and it says "shutting down", when I press it again later, I see the word "Surface" but then I get a black screen (display is off) and keyboard light goes off. If I press the power button again, sometimes nothing happens or i see a brief flash of my lock screen.
I end up holding down the power for a few seconds, then pressing it again to get the "Surface" logo and my login screen.

I also noticed that sometimes I get a lag when in "settings" in Win10. I'm in a sub menu and click on something and nothing happens. Then a few seconds later, the item is "ticked". It's not constantly doing that. Just once in a while. I don't have anything unusual running in background. I have the 8GB Ram SP2. I turned off the Windows update sharing feature and I know the SP2 was "updated" with no new updates just prior to seeing this lag.

Have you seen any weird issues?

benjitek

This will probably get moved to the Windows 10 topic... but...

I did a clean install after having used the beta for quite a while. Something I noticed with both setups was the power button. It often requires a couple presses before it's recognized. It's something W10 specific, as during the upgrade process I restored Windows 8.1 and the power button worked normally.

After doing a clean install, it appears that the Windows Update version of the Intel HD Graphics Family driver is installed instead of the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 one. Seems to work fine, but in certain screens the text has that blurry appearance now -- like Chrome used to before they updated it for higher DPI screens (Chrome looks fine).

Otherwise, it's humming along nicely :)

OP
S

starstreak

I hope it's not moved. I meant this for the SP2 issues on Win10. And not so much a general Win10 issue post. Just seeing what others with SP2 ran into. I didn't notice a driver issue. Not sure which video driver I had installed before the upgrade, and my SP2 is at home right now so I can't check.

My battery seems to be about the same. It always (more so than before the upgrade) starts by telling me my battery on 100% is gonna last 3.5hours. But after a few minutes, its normal. ~5-6+ hours.

OP
S

starstreak

Oh well. It was moved. I hope ppl in the SP2 area come here with their win10 install so we can track what is repeatable and what isn't.

benjitek

It's actually in a much better home now, still SP2, but in a new sub-forum for Windows 10. Maybe take a look at the search function? It's an easy way to find stuff regardless of the location.

Nuspieds

No problems here for me with power button/shutting down/sleep after the upgrade.

However...

1) Multi-Monitor Support
I have three external 2560x1600 monitors; two are daisy-chained via the DisplayPort and the third is via a USB-to-DisplayPort cable. Unfortunately, the DisplayLink driver that is used for the USB connection interferes with the DP connection and the results are all over the place, like monitors not getting recognized, resolution issues, etc.

There are some fixes I found on the web, but they are somewhat temporary: When my SP2 comes out of sleep, the results are completely unpredictable.

I'm glad to know, though, that it's not just me or my SP2: There are numerous posts around the web and on the DisplayLink site from people in the same situation. As the DisplayLink folks seem to be pointing their fingers at MS, I can only imagine MS must be doing the same in return.

I can only hope that either/both swallow their pride and/or do whatever is necessary to resolve because multi-monitor support has now been regressed in Windows 10.

2) Start Menu
I was extremely disappointed that my Start Screen from Win 8.1 was not replicated during the upgrade process. All my Start Screen apps lumped together in one, unnamed group. To make things worse, my URL-pinned sites were not migrated at all, so I had to first remember all of them then manually re-create them.

There is absolutely no reason why they could not recreate the same grouping in the Start Menu as I had in the Start Screen. No reason whatsoever.

3) IE 11 Desktop /IE 11 MUI/Edge
a) I miss IE 11 MUI; I miss swiping back and forth to navigate back and forth.

b) Then again, I look forward to using Edge. I'm interested in it and am willing to change, so I hope they continue to deliver big and important functionality (e.g., they need to support extensions of some sort for ad-blocking software, password management, etc.).

c) Though I am interested in transitioning to Edge, of course it is not yet a replacement for IE 11. Thus, I was disappointed when I saw that my IE 11 Taskbar-pinned icon had been removed/replaced with Edge. Thankfully a quick search on the internet revealed the solution, but this should not have been necessary.

4) "What's New"
I think it would be really great for MS to include an app/website of some sort that provided existing users with the new/changed functionality.

Of course I kept on swiping right-to-left to bring up Charms! :) But just to have some sort of tutorial that walks you through what has changed since your last version would be really helpful. Right now I'm relying on bits and pieces of tips and tricks I collect from various websites and that shouldn't be the case.

Even if the tutorial were not ready on launch day, making it available as soon as possible would definitely help those who are transitioning.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the W10 upgrade! However, what I am really looking forward to is the SP4 with W10. Until then, I am willing to tolerate all sorts of gripes with the SP2. :)

GoodBytes

On my side the Get Windows 10 app says that the Surface Pro 2 is not ready for Win10, and that Microsoft is working with its partners to make it ready

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see "Failures" BUT while I reserved it I never told it I was ready to Install. I'll just assume Failure means a general failure caused by me not completing the process.

Nuspieds

I see "Failures" BUT while I reserved it I never told it I was ready to Install. I'll just assume Failure means a general failure caused by me not completing the process.
Normally, my Update settings are set to notify me and let me choose when to download and install. But on July 28th, I changed it to automatically download and install.

In the morning of the 29th, my SP2 had it, but not my SP1. When I proceeded to start the install on the SP2, it seemed to be hanging at the "Preparing to install" step. It was taking forever and the progress bar wasn't moving! Twice, I ended up cancelling the install and I saw failures in the Update log.

So my next step was to run the Update troubleshooter and let it do/fix whatever it wanted to do. After that, the install worked--mind you, the "Preparing to install" step still took forever; however, I was more patient this time and, slowly but surely, I did see the progress bar advance.

GoodBytes

So you haven't been able to upgrade at all?
I used to have Technical Preview of Win10 installed. I had lots of problem. Works great on desktop, but not on my SP2.
Problem was reduced battery life (Intel HD graphics not power saving), Wireless disconnecting every now and then or no longer able to connect on any network until reboots (definitively wireless card driver issue), touch screen desktop not showing up all the time as it should/did in Win 8.1 (probably Win10 bug).

There is rumors that Microsoft will release this massive updates in the coming days/early August which they have been working on once the RTM was selected, so I'll wait for this. By that time Intel should get stuff together (well... it's hard to say this, their drivers are poorly coded to start with, full of bugs, let not even start coding GPU stuff with it), and get new wireless drivers. Then again a new firmware was released recently... But whatever... If MS says it is not ready, seeing all the issues that people face from forcing the update instead of waiting, then I'll just wait. Like I said, fantastic on my desktop.