What's new

Windows 10 upgrade on a SP2 thread

benjitek

I updated my 2 SP2s to Windows 10 a few days ago and I am rebuilding both to Windows 8 as I type this...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]
I've had the opposite experience on my Windows 10 upgrade followed by a wipe and clean install. My impression is that it is a cleaned up and refined version of Windows 8.x. I rarely use mine unplugged, so don't know about the battery life.
...the amount of tedious UI hack and tweaks tips you find for Windows 10 is astonishing...
Seriously...? I recall Windows 8 being received about as well as Windows ME. Windows 8 required a lot of tweaking before I considered the confusing mess of tiles under control. Windows 8.1 helped a lot, sort of like Microsoft was saying 'oops' and 'we're working on it' about the UI. Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should've been.

I do think Microsoft would have been wise to come out with a hardware specific update install for all 3 Surface Pro lines, and it should have been released no later than the official launch date of Windows 10.

blacksurface

How is Windows 10 running on the SPro2 now? Is it safe to do an upgrade? I'm not that good with technical stuff, so I hesitate to upgrade. On the other hand, I don't want to miss the oportunity to upgrade for free until Christmas..

GoodBytes

-> Everything is great, except for Intel drivers crashing every now and then (but this affects all Intel graphics solutions users). Intel does have beta drivers, which you wont' be able to upgrade to, because Windows 10 forces the latest firmware on you, no way to differ it, or hide it (even Microsoft own tool to hide update doesn't work).

-> Maximized window, doesn't shrink when the touch keyboard is displayed, like it used to do with Windows 8. So that is annoying. This was never fixed, might be a design choice, for some odd reason.

girarcat

Hi there!
I'm still running on W8.1.
The free update period is about to expire, so I was wondering, should I update to W10? How is everything going for the ones who did update?
I haven't updated yet because of all the issues you reported on this forum, but they occured during the first months of the new OS. How is everything going now, one year after the official release?
I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there!
I'm still running on W8.1.
The free update period is about to expire, so I was wondering, should I update to W10? How is everything going for the ones who did update?
I haven't updated yet because of all the issues you reported on this forum, but they occured during the first months of the new OS. How is everything going now, one year after the official release?
I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
According to ZDNet you can upgrade then rollback (within 30 days as long as you don't do any other recovery events) and retain the right to run Windows 10 for free.

To be a bit safer I would make an image with Macrium Reflect (free) then upgrade. Once W10 is activated on a system it's digitally entitled and you can reinstall W10 even a clean install at a later time.

So get busy, get your free upgrade. Then decide if you want to keep running 10 or rollback, either way you can restore your old image or reinstall W10 whenever you want.

GoodBytes

The Anniversary of Windows 10 should coming up next month as well. This version of Windows 10 is much more polished, and has a nice number of new features.

But yes, you have 30 days to return back to Windows 8.1 after you upgraded to Windows 10. I tried it, for testing, and it does work indeed. At least on my test machine. Although, it is always best to backup your stuff before and after, as you never know, something could happen, and break things, where you need to do a clean install, especially that your Windows 8 install is not new (no one knows what you have installed now, previously installed, and drivers of devices).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id like to say wait until the Anniversary edition comes out but I believe that will be after the deadline so ... if you wait until a few days before the 29th then you can get your all important activation registered then upgrade to the anniversary edition and make your decision based o the latest version. The reason I say a few days before is so you can ensure it registers before the deadline. There may be a last minute rush... plan accordingly :)

girarcat

Thank you guys for the replies. I'll do what you suggest.

Talking about the activation, how does it work? Once W10 is installed, will it automatically be registered so I can rollback to W8 and 6 months later install W10 again for free using the same registration?

Cheers!

leeshor

Thank you guys for the replies. I'll do what you suggest.

Talking about the activation, how does it work? Once W10 is installed, will it automatically be registered so I can rollback to W8 and 6 months later install W10 again for free using the same registration?

Cheers!
Yes, just about as soon as it can see Microsoft servers it activates.

abe505

Hi,
Windows 10 update (KB3176495) from Anniversary Update (Version 1607) made my SP2 "plugin, not charge". I tried to uninstalled and installed it twice. Confirmed that this update did this to my SP2.
Is there anyone else have had this kind of problem?