What's new

Yahoo Messager install

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to install Yahoo! Messenger on their Windows Surface tablet? I've tried to install it from the website, on my desktop and I'm unable to. And, there's no app available yet (hopefully there will be one)

oion

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to install Yahoo! Messenger on their Windows Surface tablet? I've tried to install it from the website, on my desktop and I'm unable to. And, there's no app available yet (hopefully there will be one)

The Surface tablet runs Windows RT, which is an operating system designed to run on ARM architecture; that also means that any traditional Windows software programmed to run on x86 architecture (Intel compatible) will not run at all. Windows RT is a "walled garden" OS just like iOS or Android--you cannot install full Mac software on iOS (e.g. iPad) for example.

Yahoo may eventually write a Windows 8.1/RT app for the store, but for now, Yahoo Messenger has a web version via Yahoo Mail; that might work in IE11.

Edit: I forgot to add that there are other chat apps that support multiple protocols, so you might try one of them (I believe IM+ is one that supports Yahoo Messenger). They're not official, but they may work out fine.

Last edited:

beman39

good gawd, no offence but who still uses yahoo chat app? also IM+ does indeed work to use with yahoo chat but I don't know if the free versions works, you might have to pay for it... I would suggest using Skype which is free and very popular and can be used on almost all devices and did I mention its free? lol