What's new

100% CPU Usage

MichaelBird

I just updated my Surface Pro 4 to build 16251 and when I logged back in after the update, nothing wanted to launch other than task manager, which showed 100% CPU usage but no processes using any CPU. Couldn't even shut down.

I did a refresh, removing all of my files, and that seemed to fix it. I installed Office 365 and afterward, I couldn't shut down again. Looked at task manager and it showed 72% CPU usage by System Interrupts.

I forced a reboot and now it is back to showing 100% CPU usage with no processes using any of it. Cannot shut down or launch anything.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
None of them. Every process shows 0% CPU, but the total usage shows 100%.
Which Task Manager are you using?

This one?
upload_2017-9-25_14-7-34.png

Or this one?

upload_2017-9-25_14-8-20.png

The last one should show what is causing the CPU behavior - click the More Details on the first one.

OP
M

MichaelBird

And you see nothing occupying the CPU? Even in the System Services?
Correct. I can sometimes open the start menu, but not always. I cannot access settings. Cannot launch and app except task manager. Task manager is very responsive as if the 100% CPU is incorrect. I can launch the command prompt from task manager and the command prompt is also responsive.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Correct. I can sometimes open the start menu, but not always. I cannot access settings. Cannot launch and app except task manager. Task manager is very responsive as if the 100% CPU is incorrect. I can launch the command prompt from task manager and the command prompt is also responsive.
Create a new account - a local account and log in to see if you see the same behavior