What's new

4gb vs 8gb gaming performance

Tastykilljoy

I've seen a lot of threads around gaming on 8gb versions of pro2, but are there any comparisions that show a performance difference on the 4gb for the same game?

Never will exist differences in gaming performance:

Surface Pro 2 (8 Gb) = Intel HD 4400 share 512 Mb/1 Gb = This is what you get for games
Windows 8.1 SP 2 (8 Gb) = You will have between 7 Gb to 7.5 Gb for the OS free.

Surface Pro 2 (4 Gb) = Intel HD 4400 share 512 Mb/1 Gb = This is what you get for games
Windows 8.1 SP 2 (4 Gb) = You will have between 3 Gb to 3.5 Gb for the OS free.

To increase performance in a memory RAM is required 1Gb GDDR5 dedicated to handle 1080p HD textures,increase the bandwidth to the GPU, etc.

be77solo

I've seen a lot of threads around gaming on 8gb versions of pro2, but are there any comparisions that show a performance difference on the 4gb for the same game?

Never will exist differences in gaming performance:

Surface Pro 2 (8 Gb) = Intel HD 4400 share 512 Mb/1 Gb = This is what you get for games
Windows 8.1 SP 2 (8 Gb) = You will have between 7 Gb to 7.5 Gb for the OS free.

Surface Pro 2 (4 Gb) = Intel HD 4400 share 512 Mb/1 Gb = This is what you get for games
Windows 8.1 SP 2 (4 Gb) = You will have between 3 Gb to 3.5 Gb for the OS free.

To increase performance in a memory RAM is required 1Gb GDDR5 dedicated to handle 1080p HD textures,increase the bandwidth to the GPU, etc.
There aren't any games currently the SP2 will play that will directly benefit from the increase from 4->8GB, but if the 8GB is dual channel and the 4GB is single channel, there is a possible increase in performance in gaming. This would be the benefit, more so than the size increase. I've read reports both ways, so I'm not certain however how Microsoft setup the different ram options.

There aren't any games currently the SP2 will play that will directly benefit from the increase from 4->8GB, but if the 8GB is dual channel and the 4GB is single channel, there is a possible increase in performance in gaming. This would be the benefit, more so than the size increase. I've read reports both ways, so I'm not certain however how Microsoft setup the different ram options.

I understand, it's just RAM, as much the textures loaded a little faster,
fps avoid a loss in some cases.

He believed that the model was 4Gb dual channel with 2 modules of 2 GB.

Here a capture ifixit : Model Surface Pro 2 128 Gb

MtAMmHIbSkp4nXtM.medium

Greetings.