What's new

5GHz keeps going limited

Kris

Just got another SP3 reset it twice. I have quiet a few other devices all working fine on the 5GHz channel even pulled out my phone and loaded a WiFi analyzer. Changed the channel that my signal is on. After trying everything I am at a loss my new SP3 keeps losing connectivity and I get told I have limited access. When I turn off WiFi and turn it back on all 5GHz signals in the area are gone and I have to power cycle my SP3 to get them back or I wait about 5 to 10 minutes and I get the signal back... Do I have another defective product or can I do something to fix this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We need more information, what Router are you using? Are you using a 3rd Party Firmware for said Router?

OP
K

Kris

it doesn't seem to happen on the 2.4 GHz and I am using the Asus RT-AC87R. I will play around with the 2.4 today.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you running the latest Firmware on the Router? Also what channel are you running on the 5GHz range?

OP
K

Kris

yes on latest firmware and changed channel to 161, used my phone with WiFi Analyzer to make sure no one else was using that channel. I tried every channel the router supported but had the same problem on every channel.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Typically what I'm finding in regards to routers especially 5GHz is that the DHCP ACK is getting lost, try giving the SP3 a Static IP Address in the Alternate Configuration Tab and see if that fixes the limited connectivity issue.

mitchellvii

In my house anyway, 2.4 runs just as fast (and further) than 5 so I just run 2.4. Lots of walls and floors and 5 doesn't like those. 5 has more power (typically) but shorter range.

OP
K

Kris

Thank you for all the advice. I returned the SP3 today and may not be able to get a new one...

ctitanic

I had a Asus and it did not work too well. I noticed that the most stable configuration was 20Mhz, and changing the channel to the lower ones.

OP
K

Kris

I had a Asus and it did not work too well. I noticed that the most stable configuration was 20Mhz, and changing the channel to the lower ones.
The SP3 that I returned, before the one that I returned today, worked perfectly on the Asus router, just had a screen issue...

ctitanic

The SP3 that I returned, before the one that I returned today, worked perfectly on the Asus router, just had a screen issue...
So it could be a driver issue, have You tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WiFi driver?