What's new

8.1 Killed Text Entry Here on 2 Different SPs

N.G.

Upgraded my old SP (with long standing wifi stability problems -see other posts) to 8.1. Generally worked ok except for the Google site compatibility problem and gmail loading slowed a lot. Came here to post an update and text entry on screen died. Wouldn't take characters, took them and then deleted others, flashed a lot and keyboard disappeared.

Had enough and made appointment at MS store to exchange, drove 2.5 hours arrived early and had to wait hour after appointment to be seen. Exchanged SP with documents and favs moved. (With some trepidation, bought wife a Surface 2 - she fell in love with the PURPLE Type 2 keyboard.) Spent next 3 days rebuilding SP. When I upgraded it to 8.1 and came to this site, on screen keyboard was unusable here too in same manner. Attached the type keyboard and it was the same (except it didn't disappear (being a physical keyboard)). Don't see problem anywhere else so far (although gmail via IE11 is slow to load on new SP also -probably unrelated.)

Anyone know what is going on and have a solution?

Thanks NG

Sent on my Fire HD 8.9, which continues to work better on the web than either SP (although the SP does things it can't.)

oion

Upgraded my old SP (with long standing wifi stability problems -see other posts) to 8.1. Generally worked ok except for the Google site compatibility problem and gmail loading slowed a lot. Came here to post an update and text entry on screen died. Wouldn't take characters, took them and then deleted others, flashed a lot and keyboard disappeared.

Had enough and made appointment at MS store to exchange, drove 2.5 hours arrived early and had to wait hour after appointment to be seen. Exchanged SP with documents and favs moved. (With some trepidation, bought wife a Surface 2 - she fell in love with the PURPLE Type 2 keyboard.) Spent next 3 days rebuilding SP. When I upgraded it to 8.1 and came to this site, on screen keyboard was unusable here too in same manner. Attached the type keyboard and it was the same (except it didn't disappear (being a physical keyboard)). Don't see problem anywhere else so far (although gmail via IE11 is slow to load on new SP also -probably unrelated.)

Anyone know what is going on and have a solution?

Thanks NG

Sent on my Fire HD 8.9, which continues to work better on the web than either SP (although the SP does things it can't.)

So, I would inquire per the bolded, what would happen if you didn't spend three days rebuilding (I assume reinstalling everything that you use) and instead did all the patching and 8.1 update immediately after a reset? (I'm not sure if you can roll back from 8.1 using the Win system restore.) It does sound like a software issue if 8.0 worked perfectly fine for you.

OP
N

N.G.

Moved zero SW from old to new. Three days included babysitting wife migrating from Win 7 to an Win 8.1 Surface 2, a couple of football games, and sundry. Only app I installed was a Kindle reader.

Still have not seen this behavior anywhere but on this forum.

Think I'll read about others' system restore experience before trying it. Maybe go to McDonalds and see if it happens on their net, and give the forum a try on Wife's new 8.1 Surface 2.

Typed on Kindle Fire Hd 8.9 (8.9 Fire HDX on order.)

Last edited:

oion

Moved zero SW from old to new. Three days included babysitting wife migrating from Win 7 to an Win 8.1 Surface 2, a couple of football games, and sundry. Only app I installed was a Kindle reader.

Still have not seen this behavior anywhere but on this forum.

Think I'll read about others' system restore experience before trying it. Maybe go to McDonalds and see if it happens on their net, and give the forum a try on Wife's new 8.1 Surface 2.

Typed on Kindle Fire Hd 8.9 (8.9 Fire HDX on order.)

Oh, I missed this tidbit--so this only happens on this forum (funky). Does adding this site to IE's compatibility list help?

Otherwise... Hm, I just noticed that the SurfaceForums.net app no longer exists in the store and there's no mobile version of the website. :/ But now that I'm clear that you're experiencing that problem only on this one website, an exchange seems a little overkill. :eek:

Wonder what happened to the board app.

OP
N

N.G.

Well, wife's new Surface 2 has the same problem. I'm beginning to suspect 8.1 can't deal with network latency. I've got about double the average for a cable network. Is there a Marvell chip in the Surface 2 Rt? 8.0 on the Pro had no problem.