What's new

8GB Micro SD Card Not Recognized After Removal and Insert

giantyeh

Hi All,

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I've been trying to solve this problem for the past 3 hours. What's happening is every time I insert the micro SD card into the slot, it goes unrecognized and doesn't show up under disk management or my computer. However, when I restart the machine with the SD card inside, it is recognized at boot. I then take it out and put it back in and the same issue happens again where it's no longer recognized.

I tried this SD card on another Surface I own and it works great. Also tried the SD card on a friend's surface and that worked as well. So this doesn't seem to be related to a broken SD card.

I tried going into Device Manager and updating each of the SD Host Adapter drivers to the SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller drivers instead of the default Nvidia SoC Secure Digital host controller. No dice, the SD card would still not get recognized by the system after boot when you unplug and plug it back in.

Any more ideas or is my Surface just faulty?

Thanks!

J515OP

Super Moderator
It sounds like it could be an option that somehow got changed in the software or faulty hardware. Hard to say what the problem is. Since it worked on the other devices maybe somebody can track down the option in settings that will correct the issue. If not I would try both resets and then return it if it still doesn't work.

OP
G

giantyeh

It sounds like it could be an option that somehow got changed in the software or faulty hardware. Hard to say what the problem is. Since it worked on the other devices maybe somebody can track down the option in settings that will correct the issue. If not I would try both resets and then return it if it still doesn't work.

Unfortunately, I tried that but it didn't work :(. What's strange is I tried the SD card on my friend's machine and it didn't work. I went through his device manager and updated the drivers the same way I did on my machine and now his works on both insert and pull out. I'm not sure what else to look at. You guys are right, could be a faulty HW. I'm hoping though if someone knows something about the driver or settings then it'll fix the problem.

Thanks!

ArnoldC

I'd put in another working micro SDHC, and move on instead of pullig hairs. The SanDisk 64GB Class 10 micro SDHC is what I use with no problems, thus far. And for the record, I also tried a cheap no-brand one, which is 8GB in size.