What's new

Acronis TI 2014 with SP3

dleuen

Does anyone have Acronis working on their SP3? Or am I better off to just use Macrium Reflect? I see quite a few posts in the SP1 & 2 forums about issues with Acronis but cannot tell if those issues have been resolved in TI 2014 or not.

malberttoo

I've used TI for years and been happy with it. I'm not currently using it on my SP3, but I searched their user forums back about 10 days and haven't a seen a peep from anyone using a Surface, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work on yours.

They have a 30-day trial. Try it out and see.

kurtkurtosis

I am also a longtime TrueImage user, but have been trying out Macrium Reflect 5.3 with excellent results.

The problem is that Acronis TI 2014 doesn't create WINPE 5.0 rescue media out of the box which is needed for UEFI devices.

Here is a link to the Acronis Forum where somebody has apparenty figured out how to do this.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/54130

I may try this at a later time, but it looks like a bit of work.

With regard to Macrium Reflect, it easily creates a WINPE 5.0 USB bootable disk or iso.

In fact I am using a Zalman VE300 2.5" disk enclosure with a 1TB WD HD. The Zalman enclosure let's me boot from the Macrium iso image and also restores the SP3 image from the enclosure. In other words this can all be done with just one USB port.

Note, one does not need the Zalman VE300, although is nice to have device as one can store many backup images of the SP3. One can also do this with a 64GB USB stick with two partitions.

leeshor

My vote is for the Macrium. At one time nearly all my customers were on TI. Nearly half are now on Macrium. Their server software is nearly a giveaway compared to Acronis.

malberttoo

Thanks for the tip on Macrium guys, I had never heard of it until today!

I like TI because it lets you make a bootable thumb drive with TI on it. That is super handy for imaging a customer's hard drive onto a new drive or SSD; just boot their machine up to the thumb drive and make the image onto an external drive, swap out the old with the new, and reverse.

Will Macrium let you do something similar?

Kurtkurtosis, I don't get the issue that you're talking about with the WINPE 5, what's that about?

kurtkurtosis

Macrium also creates a USB thumb drive or let's you burn an iso DVD so you one can boot the PC off of that thumb drive or the iso DVD. However, TI 2014 does not support WINPE 5.0 only WINPE4.0. If a system does not use the UEFI for booting that WINPE 4.0 is fine and 5.0 is not needed.

Apparently, there are some threads where someone figured out how to create a WINPE 5.0 rescue disk for TI 2014, but it looks complicated and a lot of work. With Macrium one just selects building rescue media from a menu and one has choices for WINPE 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0. It doesn't get any easier than that.

OP
D

dleuen

Ok well I went ahead and bought the 4 PC pack of Macrium after finding a 20% coupon on the web and now have my SP3 completely backed up. Since I am taking this thing everywhere and using it for everything I feel a lot better having it backed up and having purchased Microsoft Complete coverage for it last week too. Macrium worked great and was simple enough to setup and use. Thanks for all the advise everyone.

graye

I am also a longtime TrueImage user, but have been trying out Macrium Reflect 5.3 with excellent results.

The problem is that Acronis TI 2014 doesn't create WINPE 5.0 rescue media out of the box which is needed for UEFI devices.

Here is a link to the Acronis Forum where somebody has apparenty figured out how to do this.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/54130

I may try this at a later time, but it looks like a bit of work.

With regard to Macrium Reflect, it easily creates a WINPE 5.0 USB bootable disk or iso.

In fact I am using a Zalman VE300 2.5" disk enclosure with a 1TB WD HD. The Zalman enclosure let's me boot from the Macrium iso image and also restores the SP3 image from the enclosure. In other words this can all be done with just one USB port.

Note, one does not need the Zalman VE300, although is nice to have device as one can store many backup images of the SP3. One can also do this with a 64GB USB stick with two partitions.

Whoa... Acronis True Image 2014 creates UEFI-compatible boot images. I can boot my SP1 (have an SP3 on order) via either a USB flash drive or a USB-based CDROM image.

Uh, well... I do have to temporarily turn off "secure boot", but that's no big deal.

uktivo

I'm also trying to make a full image (inc settings etc) of my SP3, as like you, I too travel and carry this thing with me everywhere.
I'm not the most technical minded of people and I'm literally just taking a disk image of my Sp3 as i type this.. but I don't suppose you have a quick tutorial or a pointer to a tutorial that i could read, just to ensure I'm doing this right?

Thanks

Enrico D.

I want to learn soon to make an image/back up of Sp3. It's not urgent for now, o I will read in the future of the best softwares. Usually in life I never used more than 100/125 gb of hard disk including the Windows that takes some time up to 35/40 gb. I'm willing in the future to go down even to 125gb.

Btw, I have an Sp3 i7 256gb, lot 1429.. hope will not give me so much troubles.

My question is, the chipset of i7 is the same of i5, I mean, do you think it is possible to recover the image of an i7 device and put on an i5 or no way?