What's new

Alternative pens?

ncameron

Beware all - this is a Surface PRO thread; but I see RT users in this discussion. The two devices have different screens and pen technology that are totally mutually INcompatible...

Tom T

Beware all - this is a Surface PRO thread; but I see RT users in this discussion. The two devices have different screens and pen technology that are totally mutually INcompatible...

Keep in mind there are many devices that use the Wacom Feel IT technology, many have been around a bit longer than the Pro so experience with these could provide useful information. A capacitive stylus WILL work on the Pro as well as the RT although it would be silly to use one.

J515OP

Super Moderator

Keep in mind there are many devices that use the Wacom Feel IT technology, many have been around a bit longer than the Pro so experience with these could provide useful information. A capacitive stylus WILL work on the Pro as well as the RT although it would be silly to use one.

Exactly. Not totally mutually incompatible. The Surface RT just can't make use of the active digitizer. Any standard capacitive stylus will work with each. As always just make sure you know which kind of device you have (active digitizer/Pro and capacative/RT) and which kind of stylus you are looking at.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Also, keep in mind that many of us RT users have been using Tablet PCs for a very long time, me since 2001. I've owned 8 different tablets, using Wacom, n-trig and just multitouch. So do you really want to abandon the combined wisdom of the community because some of us gave up on the Active Digitizer on our current machine?

riggi

I bought the Samsung S Pen Holder Kit today. It was 900 baht (about $30) at the Samsung shop.

I have a Note 2, so knew the S Pen worked well.

The holder feels a LOT better than the Microsoft pen. It has a rubberized grip and is slightly sculpted, so it feels very comfortable to hold and write with. Also, the button is almost flush, so you can easily feel where it is, but it isn't as obtrusive as the MS Pen.

Also, it seems a little more accurate as you vary the angle of the pen. It seems as if the sensor is closer to the tip of the pen on the Samsung, and further up the pen on the MS.
As an example, if I try to touch a point on the screen, I can have the Samsung at 90 degrees, or about 45 degrees and the dot lines up with where the tip is touching the screen. With the MS pen, at 90 degrees, the dot line up with where the point is touching, but at 45 degrees, the dot is a few mm toward the eraser end of the pen.

Ill be using this full time and just keep the MS Pen in the SP case as a back up.

Tom T

I finally got my Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus and am very impressed. I don't have easy access to a SP but on the Samsung Ativ the pressure sensitivity seems better than the standard s Pen especially when using a very light touch for a thin line. With the S Pen the side button is too easily pushed but on the Feel stylus it is implemented much better. I ended up getting the less expensive black metal version and the build quality and style are very good.

Mani

Was frustrated MS did not have any pen to sell. Easily lost. Found Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch S-Pen Sylus with Eraser. Excellent. Better than than the real thing. Works beautifully and cheaper. Recommend it highly.