What's new

And so it begins

disambiguous1

OK, I've got to chime in here. I'm no fanboy, I have both Mac and Windows computers for the different things I have to do. I've used Android phones and liked them, I have an iPhone 5 now. I got the iPad because I use the Windows for work and I've moved to Apple for the more personal stuff (though I also do a lot of business-stuff on it). I have a different tablet for pro video tethering. I don't care what brand it is, if it does what I need I'll use it, if not I'll dump it.

My wife is the VP of a major hospital system. She wanted a tablet so she could deal with some of the 500 emails she gets every day while she is in bed or watching TV or etc. without booting up her laptop. All she needs to do is email, take notes at meetings, and tether successfully to her Motorola Android. That's it.

After consulting with the salesperson and checking some reviews, I got her a Surface RT. It looked like it should at least have the same capability as my iPad 3, plus compatibility with more business-oriented software. Don't give me any of the stuff about "Oh, if she needed it for enterprise, she should have gotten a Pro, not RT." Email and tethering are simple, basic things that any tablet should be able to do, especially one that costs $600.

After hours on the phone with tech support and hours of fiddling with the Surface-- and note that I used to be a programmer and my wife has a master's in computer systems management, so we are pretty capable when it comes to technical devices-- the Surface RT still can't connect to her email system at work, can't tether to her Android phone, and doesn't consistently connect to either our home wi-fi system or the one at her office. During set-up we got the grey screen of death several times.

She asked me for my iPad, to see if she could get all those things to work. Within 20 minutes, she had it tethered to her phone and was reading her work email.

She doesn't need a Surface Pro. She needs an iPad. From what I've seen on this forum, so do a lot of other people. -UA

J515OP

Super Moderator
OK, I've got to chime in here. I'm no fanboy, I have both Mac and Windows computers for the different things I have to do. I've used Android phones and liked them, I have an iPhone 5 now. I got the iPad because I use the Windows for work and I've moved to Apple for the more personal stuff (though I also do a lot of business-stuff on it). I have a different tablet for pro video tethering. I don't care what brand it is, if it does what I need I'll use it, if not I'll dump it.

My wife is the VP of a major hospital system. She wanted a tablet so she could deal with some of the 500 emails she gets every day while she is in bed or watching TV or etc. without booting up her laptop. All she needs to do is email, take notes at meetings, and tether successfully to her Motorola Android. That's it.

After consulting with the salesperson and checking some reviews, I got her a Surface RT. It looked like it should at least have the same capability as my iPad 3, plus compatibility with more business-oriented software. Don't give me any of the stuff about "Oh, if she needed it for enterprise, she should have gotten a Pro, not RT." Email and tethering are simple, basic things that any tablet should be able to do, especially one that costs $600.

After hours on the phone with tech support and hours of fiddling with the Surface-- and note that I used to be a programmer and my wife has a master's in computer systems management, so we are pretty capable when it comes to technical devices-- the Surface RT still can't connect to her email system at work, can't tether to her Android phone, and doesn't consistently connect to either our home wi-fi system or the one at her office. During set-up we got the grey screen of death several times.

She asked me for my iPad, to see if she could get all those things to work. Within 20 minutes, she had it tethered to her phone and was reading her work email.

She doesn't need a Surface Pro. She needs an iPad. From what I've seen on this forum, so do a lot of other people. -UA

Welcome to the forum, that is some first post. Perhaps you had a faulty Surface? In fact the Surface RT can do all the things you describe and very easily. What it can't do is install Outlook (a mail client many people expect on a Windows device with Office). One possible solution is OWA if she needs Outlook functionality. What is her work email system?

What issue were you experiencing with tethering? Many people here have reported tethering to various phones without issue.

This is the first I have ever heard of a grey screen of death. It is not mentioned anywhere in this forum so if you could elaborate that might be helpful. Given that you spent a long time with tech support on the phone and they weren't able to resolve the issue did they offer an exchange? It seems to me you may have a faulty unit. You should be able to state the issue and exchange it pretty easily.

If you actually ask some questions and provide some details you may be able to get some help refreshing or restoring your Surface. If that is too much to handle at the moment you should simply exchange your Surface and try again. None of the things you were trying to do seem too difficult and chances are you can also do them just as easily as with the iPad.

182RG

I'm shocked I tell you. Read:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3026

Just remember...you're on the Surface fan boy site. Most replies start with '..the RT isn't intended for Enterprise use'. Horse crap...

Something isn't quite right with the WiFi, and with respect to Exchange, the TCP Parms need tweaking. If you are able to get the Exchange account setup, what you'll notice is it won't sync...but a couple of hours later, it will magically work, until you reboot.

The TCP auto tuning is the culprit.

But I agree, it isn't worth the trouble. Use the iPad. And as soon as you mention iPad, the Mod and others will treat you poorly. It's their house....

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Not at all the case. But you are entitled to your opinion. This is far from a fan boy site though there are certainly some admitted fan boys here. Not sure what response somebody expects when they jump out and start ranting about how bad something is on a site that is primarily focused on that thing. A little common sense about these things and a good attitude can go a long way. If the only purpose of a post is to come on here and tell everybody you wish you had an iPad and have nothing else to offer what is the point? Go get an iPad and leave it at that.

Specifically addressing your remarks 182RG you will notice that the first [Edit: post in response to the] post by disambiguous1 and in the thread you linked are offers of help to address the issues mentioned in the posts. Now sure how that is poor treatment despite an arguably poor attitude (will give the benefit of the doubt and take it as frustration) in the post being addressed. Despite everything the posts are still available and those that are willing to participate in conversations under the guidelines of the forum are still able to do so.

JP

Last edited:

Dewg

iPad is an excellent product - and I think many people should stick with it. It's a great consumption device. The Surface RT is different - it's between consumption and production. It's not the best consumption device (iPad is), and it's not the best production device (laptop is) - but it does both fairly well.