What's new

Any suggestion for a bigger touchpad?

IvanPsy

Hi everybody I own a SP2.
While I like the type cover, the touchpad is very small...and almost useless (I come from a Mac and I feel the difference).
I'd like to buy a bigger one with multigestures.
What do you suggest?
Are multigestures related to the driver (so that I can choose everry trouchpad I want, and I'll have multigestures)?

1) I found a Logitech touchpad, but is it possibile to have multigestures on it, ie.: 2 fingers, 3 fingers, etc...?

2) I just saw the type cover for the new SP3: the touchpad seems bigger, but is it possible to use it on my SP2?

TNX!!!

GoodBytes

Remember that you can adjust the touch pad. Do Win+Q to search, and type: Mouse, and select "Mouse" from the list.
The mouse panel should open on the desktop. In it, go under the Pointer Options tab, and form there you can adjust the speed and if you want to enhance the precision of the touch pad. I have mine at 1 step before the max, and enhance pointer precision.
It makes it far more enjoyable to use, As for the texture of the touchapd, it just takes some used to. I am not claiming it magically will turn it in a MacBook one, but it should make it better.

But if you really want a large touchpad, Logitech has one.
Touchpad for Windows T650 - Logitech

OP
I

IvanPsy

Remember that you can adjust the touch pad. Do Win+Q to search, and type: Mouse, and select "Mouse" from the list.
The mouse panel should open on the desktop. In it, go under the Pointer Options tab, and form there you can adjust the speed and if you want to enhance the precision of the touch pad. I have mine at 1 step before the max, and enhance pointer precision.
It makes it far more enjoyable to use, As for the texture of the touchapd, it just takes some used to. I am not claiming it magically will turn it in a MacBook one, but it should make it better.

But if you really want a large touchpad, Logitech has one.
Touchpad for Windows T650 - Logitech

Thank you GoodBytes for your reply.
The problem is I'm finding the Type Cover touchpad pretty useless due to the total lack of reliability: sometimes the 2 fingers scroll works, sometimes not, so the click and drag, etc...
i.e.: I'm trying to highlight some text to copy it by tapping and holding, but it doesn't work (though it worked until half an hour ago).
It's a real shame if we consider the cost of the Cover.

I want to replace the basic stylus option because it would be more comfortable when I'm focused on my keyboard.

Furthermore it's very small, though I found some fix by following your suggestion.

I saw the Logitech Mouse you mention, and I was meaning something like this.

Edistobob

. . . I saw the Logitech Mouse you mention, and I was meaning something like this.

Did you look at the Logitech Touchpad T650? It is not a mouse. I have been using the T650 with my Pro2 for quite a while now, and have been generally very pleased with it. It will do multifinger gestures quite well and supports essentially all of the Windows 8.1 gestures. I use it at home when I'm using the Pro2 as a desktop machine and I have no difficulty in switching to touch when I'm traveling and using mostly the touch screen. It's easy to switch between the two methods. If you don't want to buy a new one, you should be able to find one on Ebay at a really good price; if you don't like it you haven't invested much. I think I paid around $25 for mine.

Hstakz

Surface pro 3 type cover works with any surface device out there however it is a little big and wouldn't be ideal for a cover for when you close it.

OP
I

IvanPsy

Did you look at the Logitech Touchpad T650? It is not a mouse. I have been using the T650 with my Pro2 for quite a while now, and have been generally very pleased with it. It will do multifinger gestures quite well and supports essentially all of the Windows 8.1 gestures. I use it at home when I'm using the Pro2 as a desktop machine and I have no difficulty in switching to touch when I'm traveling and using mostly the touch screen. It's easy to switch between the two methods. If you don't want to buy a new one, you should be able to find one on Ebay at a really good price; if you don't like it you haven't invested much. I think I paid around $25 for mine.

Edistobob this is the Logitech touchpad I referred to.
I found one at about 50€ on Amazon (shipping costs inculded, but I may have a check at Ebay too).
My only complain is that it occupies my USB port, preventing me to use any other device (Internet Key, external HD, etc...): is it?

Malakai

Hi everybody I own a SP2.
While I like the type cover, the touchpad is very small...and almost useless (I come from a Mac and I feel the difference).
I'd like to buy a bigger one with multigestures.
What do you suggest?
Are multigestures related to the driver (so that I can choose everry trouchpad I want, and I'll have multigestures)?

1) I found a Logitech touchpad, but is it possibile to have multigestures on it, ie.: 2 fingers, 3 fingers, etc...?

2) I just saw the type cover for the new SP3: the touchpad seems bigger, but is it possible to use it on my SP2?

TNX!!!

I can highly recommend the Wacom Inutos Pen and Touch with the wireless accessory kit. I do a lot of graphic design and flick between using my surface with an external monitor, just the surface as a tablet and when demonstrating as a "laptop" When I'm using the monitor or demonstrating I use the Wacom kit. Being able to use it as a trackpad as well as a digitiser and being paired with a bluetooth keyboard it makes things so much easier. The only minor niggle is the USB dongle part. The surface pro 2 USB port is quite deep. When you plug the dongle in it sits too far in and windows doesn't recognise it, I wrapped a 2mm strip of insulated tape around the bottom of the USB dongle to stop it going in any further and this sorted it without any issues.

OP
I

IvanPsy

I can highly recommend the Wacom Inutos Pen and Touch with the wireless accessory kit. I do a lot of graphic design and flick between using my surface with an external monitor, just the surface as a tablet and when demonstrating as a "laptop" When I'm using the monitor or demonstrating I use the Wacom kit. Being able to use it as a trackpad as well as a digitiser and being paired with a bluetooth keyboard it makes things so much easier. The only minor niggle is the USB dongle part. The surface pro 2 USB port is quite deep. When you plug the dongle in it sits too far in and windows doesn't recognise it, I wrapped a 2mm strip of insulated tape around the bottom of the USB dongle to stop it going in any further and this sorted it without any issues.

Malakai thank you for your suggestion.
I had a look at the page, and I'm a bit confused:

1) is the wireless module sold separately? So if I buy only the tablet I have to use the cable to connect it to the Surface. Is it?

2) I see it has just 3-4 gestures, no 3 fingers or 4 fingers gestures. Is it?

3) Has it a bluetooth connection? Do I have to use the dongle to connect it via bluetooth? I'd prefer to leave the USB port free, if possible.

I thank you for your kind reply!

Malakai

IvanPsy, yes, the wireless module is a separate bit of kit, retails for about £30 but shop around on ebay or amazon and you may get lucky and pick one up dirt cheap. The cost of the two works out about £100.
It has two three and four finger gesture support. 2 fingers rotating and zooming etc. three fingers for back and forward in browsers etc and four fingers to switch between running programs a bit like alt+tab.
Unfortunately there is no bluetooth connection. That was something I really really wanted but with wifi frequencies interfering with the bluetooth frequency (unless you are running 5ghz) im kind of glad it has its own dedicated frequency via the dongle. I made up for it by buying a cheap tiny 4 port usb hub for if i needed more than just the wacom plugged in. To be honest the dongle is really small and when its not in use it has its own section on the wacom to stow it safely as well as the pen being held on too. It all fits great in my slip bag.

Hope this helps :D

OP
I

IvanPsy

IvanPsy, yes, the wireless module is a separate bit of kit, retails for about £30 but shop around on ebay or amazon and you may get lucky and pick one up dirt cheap. The cost of the two works out about £100.
It has two three and four finger gesture support. 2 fingers rotating and zooming etc. three fingers for back and forward in browsers etc and four fingers to switch between running programs a bit like alt+tab.
Unfortunately there is no bluetooth connection. That was something I really really wanted but with wifi frequencies interfering with the bluetooth frequency (unless you are running 5ghz) im kind of glad it has its own dedicated frequency via the dongle. I made up for it by buying a cheap tiny 4 port usb hub for if i needed more than just the wacom plugged in. To be honest the dongle is really small and when its not in use it has its own section on the wacom to stow it safely as well as the pen being held on too. It all fits great in my slip bag.

Hope this helps :D

TNX Malakai but 100$ are a bit expensive, considering I will not use it for graphic.
Maybe if I find a cheaper deal...

BTW: is it possible to use a USB hub and use different devices at the same time like mouse, external HD, Internet key...?

Edistobob

Edistobob this is the Logitech touchpad I referred to.
I found one at about 50€ on Amazon (shipping costs inculded, but I may have a check at Ebay too).
My only complain is that it occupies my USB port, preventing me to use any other device (Internet Key, external HD, etc...): is it?

IvanPsy: I use mine with a USB hub and it works fine. This allows me to use several other USB devices at the same time--have not had any issues with using any USB device through the hub, including thumb drives, telephone, and external hard drive.