What's new

Anyone else's wifi disconnecting?

bmclaurin

Picked up the i5/256/8 model from BB yesterday. It simply will not stay connected to wifi, literally for more than a few seconds at a time. I've tried the registry edit that MS posted as a workaround for slow wifi connectivity, but that didn't help. I've even done a fresh reinstall of W10. No luck. Starting to think it's a hardware issue. Before I go trouble of boxing it up and exchanging it for a new model at BB, any other suggestions?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I suggest you try another hotspot first. Or ask at BB if you can connect to their system. If they can't, swap it.

Our consultants have a similar issue with their wifi 4G modems, all different models of netgear modems. Connects for 5 seconds, then the modem disappears. That is on the SP3. We haven't identified what the issue is yet.

OP
B

bmclaurin

Thanks for the welcome. Funny, I just realized that this was my first post, despite having joined 2.5 years ago. Guess I'm a lurker :/ Lol

Anyway, yeah, I've tried two different hotspots so far. Same result. Just for good measure, though, I will try it at BB as well.

Think I might exchange it for the SB anyway, as the more I think about my use case and the capabilities, the SB looks like it would be a better fit.

CSF

Picked up the i5/256/8 model from BB yesterday. It simply will not stay connected to wifi, literally for more than a few seconds at a time. I've tried the registry edit that MS posted as a workaround for slow wifi connectivity, but that didn't help. I've even done a fresh reinstall of W10. No luck. Starting to think it's a hardware issue. Before I go trouble of boxing it up and exchanging it for a new model at BB, any other suggestions?

I had the same issues with SB except it would connect fine and fast at home but would connect and stall at work. Apparently there is an issue with some of the routers Comcast uses.

I did this fix and it is working fine now:

How to Fix the Slow Wi-Fi Connectivity Issue on Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - Tip and Trick

leeshor

Using a Netgear WNDR3700 router on 5Ghz with no disconnect except after sleeping for an extended period. A quick tap on the WiFi and it comes right back but I've likely created that issue with my conservative settings.

Arglebargle2

I have this same issue.

No problems connecting to the corporate and home wifis, great speed and no disconnects.

But when I connect to my hotspot it disconnects 5 seconds later.

I may be going insane, but it also seems to cause my phone to disconnect from the hotspot too.

It's like it causes the hotspot to disappear and nothing can find it until I reboot it.

leeshor

I have this same issue.

No problems connecting to the corporate and home wifis, great speed and no disconnects.

But when I connect to my hotspot it disconnects 5 seconds later.

I may be going insane, but it also seems to cause my phone to disconnect from the hotspot too.

It's like it causes the hotspot to disappear and nothing can find it until I reboot it.
Welcome to the forum

Is that a portable hotspot you're talking about? If it's connecting everywhere else and the Surface and phone are both having problems I doubt that the Surface is the source of the problem.

robertcan

I have this issue as well. Its hit or miss but it occurs multiple times per hour. More of an annoyance than anything. Glad MS is planning a fix.

Arglebargle2

Is that a portable hotspot you're talking about? If it's connecting everywhere else and the Surface and phone are both having problems I doubt that the Surface is the source of the problem.

Yes, and I agree. Especially with a portable hotspot there are tons of variables which could actually be the issue.

But I think it was the sp4 and here is why.

My sp2 and my phone could stay connected with no issue.
My phone could stay connected by itself, no issue.
Once the sp4 connected, the sp4 and phone would immediately drop.

Finally, I did the 'slow wifi' regedit shortly after I posted a few days ago, and have not been disconnected since then.

Even after making that change and having it solve the issue, I'll never know for 100% it wasn't some other issue with the hotspot and just coincidence that the registry change seemed to fix it.