What's new

Battery Wear Level on New Machine

hadrian

Hi guys,

I recently bought my father a surface pro 3, but when I was sorting it out I realized the battery had a wear level of three percent.

Is this normal or does this indicate that I bought a refurb or a returned unit? I am unfamiliar with battery reports, so do the following pictures indicate that the battery was in use for six weeks?

Please advise, as I am curious to your experiences. I greatly appreciate your help!

Here are images of my reports
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

wynand32

I've used the utility Battery Bar Pro (free, despite the name) to monitor my battery life and battery health. Mine started out at .3% wear (yes, .3%, not 3%), and then went up and down a bit until it settled on 0% wear. I think it takes some time for the battery to fully calibrates.

As far as the battery being used, I don't think this report indicates that. Not sure why it lists the earlier dates, unless the machines are started up as part of the factory prep and it's just this old. But, it looks to me like there are no cycles, which indicates that it's never been charged and thus hasn't been used.

In short, I wouldn't fret it.

OP
H

hadrian

Thank you sir. But I am also wondering why my fully charged capacity is so much less than the designed capacity despite the 0 cycles.

wynand32

Well, 3% wear isn't terribly significant, even if it sticks. It's not uncommon for a battery to have some wear out of the box, although in my experience with my SP3 it ended up at 0% wear after a full charge/discharge cycle.

Aurelio

Hello Hadrian, mine Full capacity was less than the designed too....
but after a few days using, it started to change to more approximate level. Now it's ALMOST the ----same. I think this is normal.

-----------------------------------
wynand32

I tried to install they App... But my frameworks don't allow me to do it.

I have the newest one and on the installation keep asking to instal Net Frameworks 2 or newer.

$%ˆ$%ˆ$%ˆ@$

malberttoo

I do believe there is some small "break-in" period while the battery settles in and "calibrates" if you will.

At least on my SP3, it took a couple days before my readings became more consistent and predictable.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Hadrian, mine Full capacity was less than the designed too....
but after a few days using, it started to change to more approximate level. Now it's ALMOST the ----same. I think this is normal.

-----------------------------------
wynand32

I tried to install they App... But my frameworks don't allow me to do it.

I have the newest one and on the installation keep asking to instal Net Frameworks 2 or newer.

$%ˆ$%ˆ$%ˆ@$
you need to add a.net framework 3.5 to get the older frameworks loaded.
Under 'Programs and Features' - Turn Windows features on or off
Check the box for .Net framework 3.5
That will also bring in 2.0

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep the battery will likely charge up to over Designed capacity in a few days.
Since the wear level is an estimate its likely based on charged capacity over designed capacity which uncoincidentally is .9698 (97%). All is good for a fresh virgin unit.

Aurelio

you need to add a.net framework 3.5 to get the older frameworks loaded.
Under 'Programs and Features' - Turn Windows features on or off
Check the box for .Net framework 3.5
That will also bring in 2.0

Thanks GreyFox!!!!
I found that, but once I selected it ask to download from Windows Update (I work in Cruise ship, and where we are now the connection is horrible, I'll try to download see what happens!!)

Thanks Again.

PS= The connection can't download anything from Windows Update.... (for sure is the horrible connection on the ship) but I tried do download the full install of 238MB for Frameworks 3.5 and the stupid install still want to download the content from windows Update, come on..... is the full install eheahheaehahheaaheaeh)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Aurelio

GreyFox!!!

Worked!!!!! I went to a Mall here in Hilo and finally it started to download the files for FrameWorks 3.5!!!! Now it's working, and I'm impressed with the battery from SP3..... entire day in the mall using FireFox + Store + Youtube App to download videos Hyper something! Facebook, etc.... and Still 5hours remaining with 73% of battery!

In total average of 8:30 to 9 hours!!!! Awesome!!!