What's new

Fast battery drain issue

OP
M

mplatcs

Scaling is a wholly different issue. The only reason you experience it on the surface and not the samsung is because the samsung has a (comparatively) rubbish screen. The scaling is not a result of something wrong with the surface, it's a result of a high DPI screen that applications have not been re-written to support properly.

As to multi tasking, this is a relatively fresh install i'm on so am just installing some stuff and will get back to you

Of course, surface has a better screen, but the issue cannot be about the screen since I tried this by using my external monitor as the sole monitor. It can be related to GPU, but then surface has a better one...

I am looking forward to hear your experience on a fresh install...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course, surface has a better screen, but the issue cannot be about the screen since I tried this by using my external monitor as the sole monitor. It can be related to GPU, but then surface has a better one...

I am looking forward to hear your experience on a fresh install...

Well i've been using my external monitor as my main display for the past 3 months, and it is absolutely perfect (aside from some expected issues with win 10 here and there), so not sure what is causing issues with yours.

Made the mistake of installing offie from a very old micro sc card. This is taking longer than i'd planned. As it is though,

multitask.png

That's running 2 games (one very intensive, one not so much), listening to music, 720p film in background streamed from a usb hdd, onenote, fresh paint, few more MUI apps, installing office from sd card, chrome and edge browsers. Music remains steady, film isn't choppy, and only a small amount of lag when switching between programs. Memory and cpu are both maxed out.

OP
M

mplatcs

Really !! Then, I should return my surface... What about battery? I have been loosing 8% for each 10 minutes while watching videos on the web, nothing else.

Btw, I just tested with asphalt 8 + firefox + notepad + adobe pdf reader + excel. asphalt 8 and firefox were laggy...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I should add that (because of windows 10 quirks) that was all done using an external monitor but duplicating the display, instead of just displaying on the external, so even more demanding on the system than just running it normally.

As to battery life, i can't really comment as i have been on windows 10 since the insider preview rolled out, and battery life has been all over the place. But for my normal usage, i was regualrly getting around 8-9 hours. When watching HD films on the coach to London, i could happily get through 3 hours on battery watching videos with plenty of juice left over when i got to the other end.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really !! Then, I should return my surface... What about battery? I have been loosing 8% for each 10 minutes while watching videos on the web, nothing else.

Btw, I just tested with asphalt 8 + firefox + notepad + adobe pdf reader + excel. asphalt 8 and firefox were laggy...

Just installed and played some asphalt while i had powerpoint, a pdf, notepad, chrome, and edge running. Not a problem.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Give it a little bit to let the system sort itself out following the refresh, but if it continues, might be an idea to get on live chat with MS and see what they say. There should be no way that such a small list of apps running could bog that machine down.

OP
M

mplatcs

Thanks but I just decided that Surface pro 3 is not for me, it is way too much trouble and I won't probably buy any surface products. I hope I can return it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any product will have the occasional issue. I bought an ipad air 2 last year and i couldn't even get past the initial setup without the thing locking up. Doesn't mean that all apple tablets are therefore problematic. The number of VERY happy users on this forum and around the web is testamount to the devices abilities and quality. I'd feel bad if i didn't tell you to give it another shot (or wait for SP4).

Personally though, i'd never buy things like this second hand or from anywhere but a very reputable store, that is to say direct from MS. If i have a problem with my SP3, i get in touch with MS and i'd have a replacement unit at my door the following morning (the joys of living in the UK, even second class post is typically next day :))

OP
M

mplatcs

I just talked to the guy I bought this surface and it seems that he is not willing to take it back by saying it was working perfectly :( (but just got it yesterday !)
The good thing is that it is still under warranty. Thus, I contacted to the Microsoft support and they gladly suggested to replace it. I might give another try or sell it someone else.

kundas1

why give up so easily? I don't understand... the Surface line is a great machine (for others) and you maybe did something to make it run badly when you reset it... dunno what your computer experience is but its not normal the way your SP3 is functioning but that doesn't mean it's a bad machine. it would be a shame to miss out on such a fun device!

OP
M

mplatcs

I understand from computers a bit ;) there is no way I did something wrong. I actually installed exact same programs with my samsung ultrabook (which I installed a fresh windows 8.1 pro last week). It is a 3 years old machine, I didn't have any problem with it at all during these 3 years. I bought this Surface Pro 3 with a better cpu, gpu, ram, ssd, screen etc. and I am having these issues on my first day ! This is not a good impression for anything and anyone. If I go to a 5 stars hotel and have bad experience, I just won't go there again...

I am aware of that it is possible to have defective products from any brand. However, I didn't buy it just for fun but for serious work so it is supposed to work smoothly. I can't spend my hours/days to fix it. Yet gladly Microsoft offered to exchange it with a new one... :)

The form factor of Surface Pro 3 is just what I have been looking for, so I didn't buy it randomly. I wouldn't be disappointed that much if it was just another pc. Besides, I didn't get one issue but many: battery, heat, fan, performance ... all at the same time. It is far more frustrating...

Last edited: