What's new

Best Browser for both Desktop and Tablet use.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you import all your favorite places to the SP3 IE from other browsers (i.e.-Chrome, Firefox) on a different laptop? TIA :)
yes you can export bookmarks and then import them to IE. For this reason I downloaded chrome, ran it once, exported, imported into IE then deleted Chrome. I love using Chrome, but I can't bring myself to use it on the Surface as I know it'll ruin the positive experience...!!

VickiFL

yes you can export bookmarks and then import them to IE. For this reason I downloaded chrome, ran it once, exported, imported into IE then deleted Chrome. I love using Chrome, but I can't bring myself to use it on the Surface as I know it'll ruin the positive experience...!!

Plus, I read Chrome is a battery killer too. I just haven't used IE is years.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus, I read Chrome is a battery killer too. I just haven't used IE is years.
I hadn't either, I'd avoided it like the plague, and I still dont' like the desktop version of IE on the surface... however I really like the MUI version, as I generally interact with my Surface using touch - very rarely the trackpad - the MUI version is so much easier to use. I actually really like it, I just wish I could install an adblocker and other plugins on it.

VickiFL

I'll have to play around a bit to see how I want things to be. I think I want to run it under traditional setup, as a laptop with the keyboard. I plan to experiment with the tablet aspect too.

How is the MUI version of IE different from regular IE?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll have to play around a bit to see how I want things to be. I think I want to run it under traditional setup, as a laptop with the keyboard. I plan to experiment with the tablet aspect too.

How is the MUI version of IE different from regular IE?
Yes, It's quite different much simpler and as jnroach says, like amobile browser , the search bar appears at the bottom and you swipe up to access it and other tabs, also you can swipe left to go back and swipe right to go forwards on pages (which is pretty cool). I like it a lot, so much so that when I end up using desktop version it looks really old fashioned and I forget how to use it! It is more cut down though as you'd expect from a mobile browser.

VickiFL

I think I will stick to regular IE then because I need more than a mobile version. (i.e.-secure shopping, school websites, banking, etc.) I can use regular IE on the SP3, right?

Thanks for helping me understand the difference. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think I will stick to regular IE then because I need more than a mobile version. (i.e.-secure shopping, school websites, banking, etc.) I can use regular IE on the SP3, right?

Thanks for helping me understand the difference. :)
All of those things will typically work in MUI IE and in many ways it is more secure than the desktop version....

johnj2803

Aside from the battery issues with Chrome, I prefer the metro version of Chrome. If you aren't aware of this feature, click the menu icon in Chrome, then click "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode". I like the icon bar at the bottom of the browsing screen, as I use Chrome's bookmark bar quite extensively.

That said, word has it that Google has fixed the battery-eating issue in Chrome and will be released in Chrome Canary soon (this coming week, supposedly). We are probably a few weeks away from seeing it in the stable version, but it's good to know it's being addressed.

Does this work on 1080p displays now? I used to do this but the screen looks wonky when I do this so I just do the desktop mode.

HarnessTech

If it helps any, here is a screenshot of the latest Chrome stable build and IE, both on Desktop, on a 1080p display and no fancy scaling tricks.
Capture.PNG
The screenshot doesn't really show it very well (maybe because it is reduced), but IE's text is a little more crisp.