What's new

Bluetooth Mouse Not Connecting

Russ

Surface Pro 3, Win10 Pro, 1703/15063,
Marvell Avastar Driver 15.68.9112.23 (also tried two previous versions + Generic)
Virus scan negative
Three different mice -- all of which work on other devices

Problem was present before OS upgrade. It was present before she took it to China, but I wasn't able to find a solution then either. Don't know when it arose, so have no idea what might have been the precipitating event.

Stuff I tried, in various orders & combinations:
* Turning Bluetooth On/Off
* Removing/Reinserting mouse batteries
* Uninstalling/Reinstalling Marvell Bluetooth Radio Adapter
* Reboot & Cold start
* WiFi: Off, 2.4 & 5
* sfc /scannow -- Negative
* Prayer

Add Bluetooth device brings up the appropriate box, but does not find the mouse after continuous searching
It does find an "Unknown Device" which I have not yet identified.
It can find my Windows phone (ATIV Odyssey), but it was previously Off and across the house, so no cross-talk problem.

I have read every "Bluetooth" thread in this section, but no help.

Any suggestions that do not involve Refresh/Reset will be appreciated. This is Ladyfriend's machine, and a Reset would be way too complicated due to language issues and other stuff.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
OP
Russ

Russ

Small, albeit puzzling progress.

The three mice I was using are (all Microsoft): Sculpt Touch Mouse, Designer Bluetooth Mouse and the Notebook Mouse 5000.

I downloaded the SurfaceDiagnosticToolkit and ran the Bluetooth test. It found one mouse -- the Sculpt Touch mouse. After exiting the program, I was able to pair and connect that mouse. Subsequent attempts on the other two mice yielded no results.

Further exploration has been suspended because the owner took her SPro3 (and my Sculpt Touch mouse) and went home.

I don't know what, if anything, I have learned.

Film at eleven -- or someday.

Regards,
Russ

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Russ,

I am wondering if this Bluetooth mouse issue only occurs at one location. Bluetooth uses the same frequency bands as 2.4Ghz routers, and congested areas can cause Bluetooth interference.

I prefer RF mice to Bluetooth.

bluetooth_mouse-jpg.8500

OP
Russ

Russ

I am wondering if this Bluetooth mouse issue only occurs at one location.

Sharp --
Actually, I don't know. All of my experiments were done in a spare office that I set up for her here, and it did not occur to me to try it elsewhere. That is a busy area of the house, because just down the hall is my office where my router lives, along with other computer equipment. We encountered the problem before she left on her trip -- but that was also in that office. She just took a little USB mouse to use on her trip, to assure she had no problems in her travels over there.
When she is here again, I will try it in a more isolated location. I will let you know, but that will not be for a week or so, as she has to finish getting over her jet lag, then deal with all the stuff from her trip.
Thanks,
Russ

p.s.: That is one ugly bluetooth mouse. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

BubbaUK

That was a very good tip from sharpuser.

I had an issue with a Macbook Pro and BT mouse. I could never get it to pair reliably whatever I tried ... until I found out the mouse was automatically pairing with the Mac in the room behind me (which was actually using a wired mouse), despite being much, much farther away! It was fine if the other Mac was switched off, which led to my confusion. Only found out by accident when the guy started yelling about being infected with a virus that causing his mouse to jump around - it was actually me trying to pair with the MBP.

So yes - move somewhere completely different and try again!

OP
Russ

Russ

So yes - move somewhere completely different and try again!
Bubba --
Well, I could try Shanghai. Ladyfriend owns a condo there.
I had not considered the proximity issue until Sharp mentioned it. In that part of the house, there are two desktops, plus my router and other network stuff, including a 2.4 repeater so I can use my SPro out by the swing. (I have a lot of computer stuff for a guy who lives alone.)
I will try again next time she's here.
Thanks,
Russ