What's new

Solved BSOD is very much annoying me!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Let me go out on a limb here and generalize. Please place blame where blame it s due. It is NOT the SP2/3. That is only showing you what HAS happened, not what is causing it.

IF you are using a hub or any USB-based attachment for connecting to the outside monitor it will almost certainly be using DisplayLink drivers. So, updating the Intel drivers will achieve nothing.

Please note also that the Display Link drivers will use heaps of your internal SSD finite wear life. For external monitor use, ONLY the DVI and suitable adapter (if needed) is the ONLY option. Then you, like me will have ZERO problems with the external monitor and you can then lay the blame where it is due.

Use something like Process Monitor to watch the amount of writes to the SSD by the DisplayLink driver, then go buy a DVI cable adapter. :)
Please re-read the OP's post, he's using Mini-DP to VGA not USB to VGA, so no DisplayLink drivers come into play....

OP
Domenico

Domenico

Let me go out on a limb here and generalize. Please place blame where blame it s due. It is NOT the SP2/3. That is only showing you what HAS happened, not what is causing it.

IF you are using a hub or any USB-based attachment for connecting to the outside monitor it will almost certainly be using DisplayLink drivers. So, updating the Intel drivers will achieve nothing.

Please note also that the Display Link drivers will use heaps of your internal SSD finite wear life. For external monitor use, ONLY the DVI and suitable adapter (if needed) is the ONLY option. Then you, like me will have ZERO problems with the external monitor and you can then lay the blame where it is due.

Use something like Process Monitor to watch the amount of writes to the SSD by the DisplayLink driver, then go buy a DVI cable adapter. :)

I am completely with you when you say to not blame SP3. I am just trying to find out what is causing my problem when attaching ext monitor.
Anyway, as jnjroach writes, I am using mini dp to VGA not USB to VGA but I liked your suggestion about using ONLY DVI.

As for now I have been working with SP3 + ext monitor (VGA in) for 3hours and a half by now and no problem yet :).
Thank you again for your suggestion.

OP
Domenico

Domenico

Too good to be true!
After 5 hours SP3 frozen again and then BSOD.

Now I am gonna try Mini-DP to DVI on the same monitor.
Wish me good luck. o_O

OP
Domenico

Domenico

Hello guys,
I am still fighting with my problem;
last night I tried Mini-DP to DVI on the same monitor but nothig good.

upload_2015-4-15_14-9-23.png

I setup Dump file as you see above but dump file was never created.
I tried also %SystemRoot%\Dumpfile with the same result.

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED was the first BSoD message
and
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR the next one.

Both case didn't left any DUMP file.
I do not know what else to do.

As last resort I will buy a DVI cable adapter as New2Me suggests.
If you can help to understand why no dmp is being generated, I'd really appreciate! :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried this on a different electrical circuit? A grounding problem could lead to a discharge which might cause your symptoms. I had a similar experience years ago at a clients site where several systems would randomly reset. Turned out to be a building ground fault and once corrected never had another issue.

A simple fix might be to get a computer UPS and plug your monitor, surface, anything else connected into the UPS. Although a qualified electrician should check the circuit if that clears it up.

NOTE: when we first discovered the ground fault the electrician on duty stuck a wire into the Ground on the outlet and connected it to the conduit. This is NOT a correct problem resolution and causes ground loops, which are equally bad. The problem must be corrected at the source thus my reference to a "qualified" electrician, your run o the mill hack isn't going to cut it.

OP
Domenico

Domenico

My monitor and SP3 are already connected to UPS system even if my clectrical circuit is very good.
I guess the problem is somewhere else. :(
Thank you anyway :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My monitor and SP3 are already connected to UPS system even if my clectrical circuit is very good.
I guess the problem is somewhere else. :(
Thank you anyway :)
And for the sake of completeness of the process of elimination have you tried it without the UPS as UPSs are not immune to electrical faults. :)

Note also there can be two sides on some UPSs, isolated and not isolated, make sure everything is on the isolated side if applicable.

Telstar1948

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED was the first BSoD message
and
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR the next one...

Probably not related, but my SP3, which is regularly hooked up to external monitors started freezing then going to the BSOD screen. It started happening more often, and the error codes were quite similar to yours. If you look up the last one, you'll find it sometimes has to do with the SSD having issues. After the last episode, my SP3 wouldn't boot to Windows so I tried a Repair and it wouldn't do it. I used a Recovery Image from MS on a USB and it booted up through it, but it wouldn't repair, it wouldn't refresh, and it wouldn't reset. In other words, it appeared my SSD failed for some strange reason (never gave me a moments problem from the time I bought it until it did this). Called MS support and they went through everything I went through with no luck. They arranged an advanced exchange so I'm typing this on my Asus T100 waiting for my new SP3 - glad it's coming: hating the thought of installing all that software again...think I'm going with recovery image software after this so I can be back in business quickly if I have to replace another SP3.

OP
Domenico

Domenico

[QUOTE="Telstar1948
Probably not related, but my SP3, which is regularly hooked up to external monitors started freezing then going to the BSOD screen. It started happening more often, and the error codes were quite similar to yours. If you look up the last one, you'll find it sometimes has to do with the SSD having issues. ..... [/QUOTE]

ok but how can I look to that if no dump file is being generated ?
I setup the system to write dump file but no one is created.
Do you know the why ?
:(

OP
Domenico

Domenico

Hey guys,
I did a new install of Windows 8.1 and I installed just the essentials Windows Update and now ??

NOW.. everything has been running for 24 hours without a single BSoD !