What's new

Display Driver Crash

Cyb3rDud3

I'm wondering am I overusing my SP3 Pro i5 8GB 256SSD machine. Recently I changed how I worked and we can bring our own device, and I work a lot from home. So I am using my Surface Pro 3 professionally now every day. It is in its dock, with a Dell 2415Q 4K screen attached, external keyboard and mouse.

I normally have Microsoft Office 2016 open (Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio, Project, Powerpoint), Skype, WebEx, and Chrome and Edge. Many documents at any one time.

My primary screen is the 4K monitor which I often share with our remote teams using Skype or with clients using Webex.

However, often I get display driver crashes :( It grinds the machine to a hold, then crashes the display driver which recovers and then I can continue.

I'm fully up-to-date with all drivers, software, and are not running a preview build of Windows 10. I went back to the mainstream track as I need to rely on this machine.

Does anyone else experience this? I'm wondering whether I am pushing the boundaries of the SP3 i5 integrated graphics card. Would an update to the SP4 i7 make a difference? (any excuse :)).

Look forward to your comments.

JP

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Chrome and/or WebEx is most likely the cause. I used my SP3 much mere intensively back when I owned it... connected to a 4K and a 2K as well as the SP3 without issues, I used IE or Edge.

OP
C

Cyb3rDud3

Chrome and/or WebEx is most likely the cause. I used my SP3 much mere intensively back when I owned it... connected to a 4K and a 2K as well as the SP3 without issues, I used IE or Edge.

I can't use Edge unfortunately as it doesn't work with our billing system, and IE renders horribly. But surely that is besides the point, the display driver shouldn't just crash. Why would the display driver crash?

Did you have the i5 or i7?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can't use Edge unfortunately as it doesn't work with our billing system, and IE renders horribly. But surely that is besides the point, the display driver shouldn't just crash. Why would the display driver crash?

Did you have the i5 or i7?

I had the i5/8/256 SP3....

My experience with Chrome and WebEx on Windows 10 has been problematic... Chrome taxes the system resources which increases exponentially with each tab and WebEx hasn't been maintained well...