What's new

Buy Surface Pro 3 or wait for the new one?

vxm

When I first considered buying SP3 I gave myself few weeks to see what reviews would be like. Of course, reviews were all the same, so I started looking up forums and search for device's shortcomings through search engines, found few spots that were very interesting to me- namely n-trig pen for digital painiting and throttling- once i found out that those were either solved by software upgrades or possible to solve with reasonable measures, I bought one.

I would go for SP3 considering it is cooled by fan (SP4 with same chip might be passively cooled), battery life is ok- certainly long enough to get notes and watch some videos in breaks (my i7 on wifi and playing video can work for 6-7 hours no problem), it has some problems solved and there is good base of users who might be helpful solving new ones. Above all that, it's Win 8.1 device- you know what to expect, there are plenty of tutorials, applications etc. Win 10 might be great or might be less suited towards working in tablet mode- from what I've read so far, tech previews are focused around desktop users and people who had issues with modern ui- they're all happy now but continuum seems to be lacking in touch friendliness, and to some people it looks like downgrade from win 8.1 in terms of productivity. I can't say whether it's true or not but I would be cautious when considering buying device with brand new OS on given pricetag- i presume it won't be cheaper than present generation, and it's not cheap device.

New2ToMe

If "waiting," made any sense, I would suggest you wait until Surface Pro 17 is rel;eased in 2033. It is watch size, operates from sensors on the skin able to receive brain messages for all functions including reminding you when to eat, drink and sit down because you are tired.

You will NEVER buy any technology that will remain current hardware for more than about three weeks. If you want the delight of using the almost perfect laptop in tablet form then buy the damn thing now. -- Or wait until 2033.

CrippsCorner

I see what you're saying; but don't completely agree. There's a life cycle each machine will go through, perhaps a year. If I was to buy something and it was replaced 6 months later, then no problem! But if I bought something and it was replaced a couple of weeks later... I'd get over it, but man I'd be pissed off.

New2ToMe

I understand, but look at the life cycle of the Surface. They are about 13-15 months. The SP2 underwent a tiny upgrade from a 4200 CPU to 4300 mid cycle. If you do not neeeeeed the thing right now and the current device is doing what you need, then wait until you really need it.

I was in somewhat of the same situation, but I was hoping that msoft would continue with the SP2 as I liked the 10" form factor as a Tablet better than the SP3 , 12". I was perfectly happy with my older Acer i5-10.6 laptop waiting to see which way msoft would go. Once I was sure the SP2 was dead in the water, I then bought a new (old stock) i5-SP2 and am very happy with that decision, even though it cost me the same as a current i5 SP3.

My issue was an "I want" more than an "I need" thing. :)

Only you can decide that. You are always going to get both sides of argument when posing a question such as you have and that still leaves you to make a decision. If you want to skip any buyer's-remorse, don't ask here. If you feel you must, then don't read any replies. :D

Old Army saying: Lead, Follow or get out of the way.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's been used by many... First attributed source was Thomas Paine from about 1776 :) although some have written, he never wrote it... he may have said it or spoken it in speeches. Lee Iacocca famously stole and popularized it two hundred years later. Some attribute it to Patton although he surely would have been aware of the Thomas Paine references... he too may have borrowed or accosted it. :) The language though is ripe for military use.

phlo

I did it. I just ordered my SP3 (i7, 256GB) with type cover, office 365 personal, docking station and ethernet adapter for 1.6k € - there is a chance of a delivery tomorrow. I'm excited! :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mentally prepare yourself for doing lots of updates and do little else until its done. The inclination is to dive in and begin installing Apps... resist :) First run Windows Update on the tablet. Then connect the keyboard and run Windows Update again. Then put it in the Dock and run Windows Update... have some cool iced tea or lemonade breaks it's hard work. :)

CrippsCorner

I understand, but look at the life cycle of the Surface. They are about 13-15 months. The SP2 underwent a tiny upgrade from a 4200 CPU to 4300 mid cycle. If you do not neeeeeed the thing right now and the current device is doing what you need, then wait until you really need it.

I was in somewhat of the same situation, but I was hoping that msoft would continue with the SP2 as I liked the 10" form factor as a Tablet better than the SP3 , 12". I was perfectly happy with my older Acer i5-10.6 laptop waiting to see which way msoft would go. Once I was sure the SP2 was dead in the water, I then bought a new (old stock) i5-SP2 and am very happy with that decision, even though it cost me the same as a current i5 SP3.

My issue was an "I want" more than an "I need" thing. :)

Only you can decide that. You are always going to get both sides of argument when posing a question such as you have and that still leaves you to make a decision. If you want to skip any buyer's-remorse, don't ask here. If you feel you must, then don't read any replies. :D

I get buyers remorse from buying a packet of crisps!

Still, at the end of the day I'm still perfectly happy with my original Surface Pro... and nothing will tempt to me upgrade early (my cycle is always 4 years, for some reason lol)