What's new

Buying Surface Pro 3 this weekend, need advice please

Pack3028

Hello everyone, I am going to be buying a Surface Pro 3 this weekend, I have been researching all different tablets for awhile now and I need something that runs a full OS and programs for work so the Surface Pro 3 is my choice.

My big question though is which one should I buy? I am stuck between the i5 and i7 , I was going to get the 256gb version of the model I purchase, however I work in the field almost every day either doing photographs, or shooting short video, I need something that I can do some Photoshop work on in the field without having to always pull a laptop out, or upload and edit some video clips around , will the i5 version handle the Adobe Creative Cloud good? I am just unsure with the i7 because I have heard of many issues of overheating and throttling with it, along with the fact of the price difference and the i7 model in 256gb isn't easy to find in a store around me.

Last question, I have a few external hard drives, can I connect external hard drive to it, to have my media files on that, I want to keep the internal drive on the Surface for the OS and programs so it doesnt get filled up quick. Thanks in advance.

tat3406

The different for i5 or i7 is not significant, all depend on personal usage. If you use Adobe CC a lot and want better performance, I think i7 is better but i5 can handle with no problem.
SP3 have a USB3.0 port to connect external hard drive. If want to connect several hard drive together you need a hub or docking station.

OP
P

Pack3028

Thank you, I would prefer to get the i5 model mainly due to price and that would leave me some left to get the type cover the same day as well as Bluetooth mouse, I have a USB hub that has a few USB inputs on it along with a SD card reader connected to it also, I just wanted some reassurance that the i5 model would be able to handle the Adobe CC pretty well, and hard drive size internally I think 256gb should be fine, even at home I keep only the OS and programs on the main drive.

OP
P

Pack3028

I have been looking at the docking station as well, this is another reason why I was considering the i5 model to have extra money left over to buy needed accessories to take to work, in meetings, in the field shooting video, and at home. Would I be good with the i5 version than with Adobe CC? I do a lot of editing PDFs for meetings and it would be amazing to be able to edit them with the pen right on the screen and email it out right away.

OP
P

Pack3028

Does anyone have any idea if there will be a Surface Pro 4 out anytime soon, I just checked Microsofts website and the Surface Pro 3 price has dropped a little from 1299 for the i5 256 gb version to 1169?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have any idea if there will be a Surface Pro 4 out anytime soon, I just checked Microsofts website and the Surface Pro 3 price has dropped a little from 1299 for the i5 256 gb version to 1169?
The channel has not started rattling about an SP4 yet so it doesn't seem eminent beyond that anything is purely speculation.

Last edited:

lonaysta

I think the Pro 4 will be out with Windows 10 pre-installed. So I don't really expect it to be available before the second quarter of next year...The performance of next gen greatly depends on the processor IMO, since the design will likely to be quite similar to Pro 3.
i5/256GB+Type cover+docking station is a good choice to maximize productivity under limited budget IMO.

Kris

Capture.JPG
just checked and I'm not seeing a price drop...

Last edited:

malberttoo

Honestly I think the i5 is fine for what you've presented as your needs. You may take a small hit in speed where the Adobe stuff is concerned... but I would suspect it would be hardly noticeable, and you'd probably comfort yourself over it with the money saved.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Pro 4 will be out with Windows 10 pre-installed. So I don't really expect it to be available before the second quarter of next year...The performance of next gen greatly depends on the processor IMO, since the design will likely to be quite similar to Pro 3.
i5/256GB+Type cover+docking station is a good choice to maximize productivity under limited budget IMO.
Maybe there should be two models or classes of SP4 Pro device:
1. SP4M (Core-M based) - cooler, lighter, 2x battery life, lower price point, 4/8 GB RAM 128/256 GB storage.
2. SP4U (U based) - 40% higher performance, 30% improved battery life vs SP3. 4/8/12 GB RAM 128/256/512/1024 GB storage.