What's new

By the 20th?

kristalsoldier

Well that sucked. Got a message from UPS:

Luckily I had pre-ordered at the physical Microsoft Store, so I headed down there and told them my tale of woe. Manager told me there was a 2 year bundle special on the extended warranty, type cover and sleeve. Told him I didn't need the sleeve but how about substituting a second power cable. He agreed!

AND, I got the 10% student discount on the bunch.

So when the UPS package arrives on Monday, I'll return it.

I had the same experience in the MS Store at the Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. Walked in, got the i5 128GB unit. Also got the educational discount. Was offered the deal but only took the sleeve (Incipio) because I have Office 365 and I'll get the 2yr warranty later.

WorldIRC

I had the same experience in the MS Store at the Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. Walked in, got the i5 128GB unit. Also got the educational discount. Was offered the deal but only took the sleeve (Incipio) because I have Office 365 and I'll get the 2yr warranty later.

What Incipio sleeve? I see no mention online, anywhere.

scfoster

I wanted the damage protection so the deal looked good. I too already have multiple MS Office licenses and also have multiple sleeves, hence the ask for the additional power supply. There are two bundles offered, one with MS Office and the other without (cheaper).

Was happy with the staff at the MS Store. Very helpful and quick. The Apple store is just around the corner in the Mall and the wait times can be long.

Still pissed about the delay in shipping. In order to save a buck, MS attempted to use UPS Ground for shorter deliveries (my unit was coming from Harrisburg 80 miles away), but that resulted in some deliveries pushing to Monday.

kristalsoldier

I wanted the damage protection so the deal looked good. I too already have multiple MS Office licenses and also have multiple sleeves, hence the ask for the additional power supply. There are two bundles offered, one with MS Office and the other without (cheaper).

Was happy with the staff at the MS Store. Very helpful and quick. The Apple store is just around the corner in the Mall and the wait times can be long.

Still pissed about the delay in shipping. In order to save a buck, MS attempted to use UPS Ground for shorter deliveries (my unit was coming from Harrisburg 80 miles away), but that resulted in some deliveries pushing to Monday.

Very similar experience as yours. I enjoyed my experience - though for some reason it appeared that the AC in the store was not working. I have experienced the Apple store, but in my country of residence (from where I bought the iPad Air) and the experience was similar. There was one difference though. In the Apple store the person who helped me set up my device knew his stuff. On the other hand, the guy at the MS store was a noob. I recommended that he look up this site for more information. I say he was a noob, but he did not screw up anything though. Just a bit of floundering around. On the whole, I'd say that MS needs to seriously up the game of their retail outlets if that is the route they are choosing to go down.

kristalsoldier

What Incipio sleeve? I see no mention online, anywhere.

Don't know about online - this was at a physical MS store at the Yorkdale Mall. They had all these sleeves of different colours which - as scfoster mentions in his post above - are part of some deal with MS Office and with some protection coverage.

WorldIRC

Don't know about online - this was at a physical MS store at the Yorkdale Mall. They had all these sleeves of different colours which - as scfoster mentions in his post above - are part of some deal with MS Office and with some protection coverage.

I'll check out Yorkdale when I get back into town.

jimp

Wow, I am really feeling left out!

I preordered on 6/16, but Microsoft didn't authorize my card until 4am 6/17. My card provider thought it was a suspicious charge and rejected it, so Microsoft says I technically got my order in at 7:45am on 6/17. No problem, my email and order status said my i5 256gb would ship by 6/20.

It's now the end of the day 6/21 and mine hasn't even shipped yet. No tracking email or order status update. Only an apology from a Microsoft CSR that first advised me they might have run out of preorder stock and mine might ship on 6/30, regardless that the i5 256gb ship date didn't change to 6/30 for new orders more than a day later. But then he looked up my order and said it should ship Monday and likely arrive by NEXT Friday.

Needless to say, the lack of a shipping update is very frustrating. Like all of you, I was really excited to finally be getting my hands on my new Surface. The patience is killing me.

Last edited:

LazyEvul

Wow, I am really feeling left out!

I preordered on 6/16, but Microsoft didn't authorize my card until 4am 6/17. My card provider thought it was a suspicious charge and rejected it, so Microsoft says I technically got my order in at 7:45am on 6/17. No problem, my email and order status said my i5 256gb would ship by 6/20.

It's now the end of the day 6/21 and mine hasn't even shipped yet. No tracking email or order status update. Only an apology from a Microsoft CSR that first advised me they might have run out of preorder stock and mine might ship on 6/30, regardless that the i5 256gb ship date didn't change to 6/30 for new orders more than a day later. But then he looked up my order and said it should ship Monday and likely arrive by NEXT Friday.

Needless to say, the lack of a shipping update is very frustrating. Like all of you, I was really excited to finally be getting my hands on my new Surface. The patience is killing me.

I'm a similar situation, except I actually pre-ordered on 5/29, but the pre-order cancelled itself for some unknown reason on 6/16 so I had to call in and redo it. Then I had to call my credit card company on 6/17 to authorize the transaction. I have yet to receive a shipping notification. I called a CSR on Friday who assured me she would ask the higher-ups to expedite the shipment and that it should ship "within 2-3 days", but I'm taking that with a grain of salt (especially since the 2 day estimate puts the shipping date on a Sunday, which I'm fairly certain isn't going to happen).

jimp

I'm a similar situation, except I actually pre-ordered on 5/29, but the pre-order cancelled itself for some unknown reason on 6/16 so I had to call in and redo it. Then I had to call my credit card company on 6/17 to authorize the transaction. I have yet to receive a shipping notification. I called a CSR on Friday who assured me she would ask the higher-ups to expedite the shipment and that it should ship "within 2-3 days", but I'm taking that with a grain of salt (especially since the 2 day estimate puts the shipping date on a Sunday, which I'm fairly certain isn't going to happen).
Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one still waiting on a tracking email. Hopefully we'll both get good news for Monday! I'm planning to call Microsoft tomorrow to see if they have any more info they can give me by phone.

kristalsoldier

"Made for Surface"?

That I don't know. The sleeve says "An Original Incipio (R) Since 1999". I chose the black version, there were a few other colours. The SP3 fits easily into it and there is a little space inside which ensures that the fit is not tight. There is a pocket on one side. That is where I have stored the pen for the moment. I think - though I have not yet tried it - you could stuff the charging block and wires inside seeing that the charging block is slim.