What's new

Can't find Skype for Business

Turk182

Our user bought a Skype for Business account and I can't figure out where to configure it in the Surface Hub. Gone through the settings and don't see anywhere to add the configurations in. Do we have to download software and install it first? Any help would be appreciated

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Our user bought a Skype for Business account and I can't figure out where to configure it in the Surface Hub. Gone through the settings and don't see anywhere to add the configurations in. Do we have to download software and install it first? Any help would be appreciated
The Surface Hub is like a Polycom Skype for Business Conference Phone and projector/screen in one....which means it doesn't have 'accounts' it is a resource and needs to be part of a Unified Messaging Strategy.

Here is the IT Pro Guide to deploying:
Microsoft Surface Hub

OP
T

Turk182

If it is like a Polycom phone where does Skype for Business run then? Do you run it from an attached PC?

melduforx

It is built into the Surface Hub as one of the three main "applications" (Call, Whiteboard, and Connect).

The Hub is not meant to be logged into by any single person and is supposed to have its own accounts, as noted above.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If it is like a Polycom phone where does Skype for Business run then? Do you run it from an attached PC?
The Surface Hub is a computer but not a personal computer. It has no access to the file system natively or even a user account and it reverts back to a known state after each use.

You set it up as a resource in Exchange and invite it to the Skype for Business Meeting, or you walk up touch the screen and launch the "Call" App as stated above...

OneNote is a special version called OneNote Whiteboard. Also the Surface Hub excepts wireless egress from other Windows 10 Devices so you can share x86 Apps (via a special 2 way implementation of Miracast).

OP
T

Turk182

So, we don't have a Skype for Business server - our user bought a single Skype for Business server license but I am not sure how they would use it with the Surface Hub? Would they install it on their own PC and then the Hub would be invited to the Skype?

Sorry for being slow on this -

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So, we don't have a Skype for Business server - our user bought a single Skype for Business server license but I am not sure how they would use it with the Surface Hub? Would they install it on their own PC and then the Hub would be invited to the Skype?

Sorry for being slow on this -
Start here - Create a device account using UI (Surface Hub)

Where did you purchase your Hub? They were supposed to walk you through this and make sure you could use the Hub.

OP
T

Turk182

We don't have Office 365 - they bought an Online $5 a month license - we bought the Hub from Microsoft - we have been struggling getting things figured out.