What's new

Can't Force Screen to Not Lock?

drfsupercenter

I asked about this over on EightForums but the people over there aren't as familiar with the Surface RT as you guys are.

I am using a Microsoft account on my Surface RT, and using "control userpaswords2", unchecked the "users must enter a password" option so that I can start the tablet without having to type my password. With the stock Windows RT that came with it, this worked great and I never needed to type my password except for store purchases... but now that I have the 8.1 preview (which I like for everything EXCEPT this stupid password nonsense), there is now a mandatory option to lock the screen after X minutes, with 15 being the highest. If you're using a local account you can tell it to never lock, but this doesn't work for Microsoft accounts.

I came across this after exporting my registry before and after adjusting the time:
"DelayLockInterval"=dword:0000012c
That was when I had it set to 5 minutes.

"DelayLockInterval"=dword:00000384
That's when it's on 15 minutes.

The key is under
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-[GUID thingy]\Control Panel\Desktop]

If I set that to 0, it always locks, but if I set it to something high like 999999, the tablet doesn't acknowledge that and still shows 15 minutes. Even though the registry still has it set as 999999. If I change it manually between 12C and 384 it DOES reflect that change in PC settings.

Is there some other work-around, whether using the registry or a group policy setting, that can force my tablet to not lock itself? I hate typing in my password, I'm the only one who uses the device and since you need a password to do anything money-related I feel it's safe enough as it is.

If not, I'll just have to hope they fix this problem with the RTM 8.1...

EMINENT

I too am searching for a solution.

I've seen something while searching for the same thing where you can disable the lock screen. I didn't research it further as I actually use it. There are times that it needs to not lock though and it is annoying.

CrippsCorner

I also hate having to type my password in all the time so simply changed to a local account, although I know that's not ideal for everyone.

Search tags for this page

delaylockinterval

delaylockinterval 384
delaylockinterval registry
delaylockinterval windows 8
force a surface pro windows 10 to not lock
registry disable password on wake delaylockinterval
remove password from surface rt
srop passwprd lpgin suerface rt
windows registry delaylockinterval
windows rt iinactive lock

Members online