What's new

charger problem and brightness adjustments

jojo

Is there any reason my charger is showing as plugged in, not charging? Other than the obvious "It's broken?"

Also, the brightness is fading up and down and when I try to change or stabilise it on the slider, it reverts to fading up and down. It happens over an interval of about 1.5 seconds and is very annoying.

Thanks in advance- that is now 3 questions in about 4 hours!

jojo

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hi jojo, what do you mean showing plugged in but not charging? If it is showing plugged in then it is charging. That means a steady white light on the tip of the charger and the battery icon with a plug on the desktop by the clock and the clock on the charms bar from the start screen.

For the screen the auto brightness might be taking over. Make sure the ambient light on the surface is steady so the sensor can adjust and be aware of covering it up (next to the front camera). There is also a known issue of turning auto brightness off and turning the brightness all the way down. Just turn it up a little brighter until it stops flickering.

Last edited:
OP
J

jojo

When I hover the cursor over the battery symbol, it says 'plugged in, not charging.' The white light which I have seen before, is not on. I thought the problem had resolved itself an hour or so ago as I turned the computer on and it was both charging AND the brightness was constant. I left it to charge but when I turned it on this time (from sleep mode) it has not charged at all and the brightness is again fluctuating :/

jojo

ArnoldC

The connector is seated properly? That's when the white light turns on. Did you change orientation?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Like Arnold said, it sounds like you need to make sure you have a good connection at the tip and get it seated in properly. The white light will come come when correctly connected. If you are sure it is all the way seated check the contacts to see if something got on the tip or the tablet socket blocking the connection.

If everything is ok after checking then it sounds like your first guess about it being broken would seem correct and a return would be in order. (You may also want to try a different outlet to be sure that isn't the issue.)

bosamar

Sounds to me like either the charger is broken or the outlet you are using is either off and/or broken. Several outlets in my home are controlled by a light switch. In addition, perhaps the outlet is controlled by a GFCI outlet which has to be reset.

Gingerman

Like Arnold said, it sounds like you need to make sure you have a good connection at the tip and get it seated in properly. The white light will come come when correctly connected. If you are sure it is all the way seated check the contacts to see if something got on the tip or the tablet socket blocking the connection.

If everything is ok after checking then it sounds like your first guess about it being broken would seem correct and a return would be in order. (You may also want to try a different outlet to be sure that isn't the issue.)
I'm having the Same, exact, Problem. My charging tip is loose, and won't hold any position with the white light on. So 1 taped it in place.
Taped, the light is on, and the plug shows on the battery icon, but the surface doesn't charge . Even in 12 hours.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk